First bike budget of £900

FMT
FMT Posts: 8
edited August 2013 in MTB beginners
Ok I'm looking at getting back in to biking, I have a budget of £900 (I could spend more but I'm sure I don't need to.) I'm a big fella, I'm 6 foot 3 and around 23 stone so I realize I'll have to be careful, no jumps, pot holes etc.

I was originally looking at the SPECIALIZED ROCKHOPPER COMP 29ER MOUNTAIN BIKE 2014 but after googling it seems I can get a better bike for the same or less. So my question is what would you recommend? I know I could spend a few hundred quid and see if I like it first which is a fair one but I'd prefer to invest more initially than buy another bike down the road.

I live near a massive army woodland which has a mix of road, dirty road, gravel road, woodland paths and loads of different terrain.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at some of the options here:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/bikes

Good value, and tough machines.
  • FMT
    Cool mate thanks :)

Would you recommend getting on with front suspension? I see they have a Fat Boy that doesn't have any, just curious really as I want it to last a while.
  • A mate of mine has a fatty, but he also has other bikes. As a one and only bike i think you would tire of it quickly!
  • FMT
    Hmmm so if you could have only 1 bike, which would it be for that budget?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The OnOne 456 Evo 2. is slightly over your budget, but is a solid bike, with an air fork (an you will need an air fork to adjust to your weight). Or the Inbred with an air fork. This is a less 'agressive' bike.
  • FMT
    Thanks mate, I did like the look of that bike. I do have one question is there that much difference from 26 to 29?
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Reduce your budget to £850 and spend £50 on a surprise pressie for the mrs firstly. This should keep here sweet whilst you spend less time with her cuz your out on your new bike...
  • Can't compare any bikes to help you, but I've just picked up a Boardman Team MTB. Absolutely love it. Great level of equipment, rides really well and deals with everything I've thrown at it so far. At £850 you get a few quid left over to treat the Mrs as was said above!!!
    Reviewed by the very knowledgeable people on here
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... m-12-46330
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • FMT
    Not long broken up with the Mrs hence I'm getting a bike lol.

I must admit I love the look of that 456 Evo2 but I must admit I like the sound of a 29er to be honest.

Would something like this be ok http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOIN29DEO ... ntain_bike or would there be a better 29er?

I like the look of that Bike from Halfords that you linked but the ones in stock only seem to go up to 19 which will be to small.
  • nasha48
    On a more serious note than my last post, I can echo some of what gregster said - I've been riding my Boardman Comp FS for around 4 years now and it's done me proud. By the way, it's the large frame I've got too - perhaps worth chatting to Halfords about. However, not your thing if it's a 29er you're after...
  • FMT
    I guess I am open to 26 too but for some reason after reading up on 29ers I like the sound of them. Yea I'll drop Halfords an e-mail see if they have any :) Thanks

Could also go up to £1000 but no more really.
  • I'm 6'4 tall, and the Boardman is a great fit, so at 6'3 you should have no problem with it. It's still £722 online at the moment, so a pretty good deal. If you want to spend a bit more, the pro is better equipped at currently £850. Have a look here
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Both great bikes, with fantastic reviews.
    Boardman MTB Team
  • FMT
    I'm 6'4 tall, and the Boardman is a great fit, so at 6'3 you should have no problem with it. It's still £722 online at the moment, so a pretty good deal. If you want to spend a bit more, the pro is better equipped at currently £850. Have a look here
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Both great bikes, with fantastic reviews.
    I must be special, I couldn't find that bike online earlier.

You have the 19" and it's fine?

Thanks mate, popping down tonight to take a look.
  • Yep, it's fine, the saddle is not quite at the max max on the seat post either, although I'm still adjusting things, but absolutely no problem with it size wise.

Good luck.
    Boardman MTB Team
  • nasha48
    Jesus.....6'4?? You must have a lot of headset spacers on that 19" frame headset no?? That bike must look like a BMX with you on it!
  • LOL, it's fine honestly
    Boardman MTB Team
  • cubext
    cubext Posts: 47
    I would consider cube, great spec plus i think they are doing 29ers as well now
  • gazzol
    gazzol Posts: 11
    Just my tuppence worth, the boardman bikes are extremely good value for money, however given the choice I wouldn't get a aluminium hard tail (again). Steel (heavier I admit) rides much much better as does titanium and carbon although the latter two are out of your budget. Don't get me wrong aluminium bikes far out sell steel etc and as such they can't be bad it's just that steel is comfier on long rides. I don't think you'd be disappointed with an On One and they do a 29er in budget!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The above is a random generalisation and is generally wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gazzol
    gazzol Posts: 11
    @ Cooldad it may be a generalisation but it isn't random. It is widely accepted that (generally) steel framed bikes are comfier to ride because of their ability to flex and absorb vibrations whereas aluminium bikes (generally) don't flex because (generally) if they do they (generally) break which is why aluminium bikes especially at the OPs price point tend to be stiffer and therefore not as comfy.
  • cooldad
    20 years ago maybe. No longer. Frame design makes much more of a difference than material.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Wrote this yesterday on frame material choice.
    http://spokeydokeyblog.wordpress.com/20 ... en-framed/
  • cooldad
    I don't read random blogs.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good self advice given the errors.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FMT, did you get to Halfords for a look at the Boardmans, and try the 19" frame?
    Boardman MTB Team