Cheaper garmin 500 cadence sensor

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Have any garmin 500 owners found a cheaper cadence sensor that will work with the 500.I got the bundle and put the
one in the pack on the best bike,so looking for one for the other bike.
Failing that any recomendations to get the garmin one cheap.
cheers.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I use a Decathlon one with my Edge 800 and have no problems.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I got a Garmin GSC10 from Amazon for £23. They're £27.50 now, a little cheaper than Garmins SRP.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • src1971
    src1971 Posts: 6
    wongataa wrote:
    I use a Decathlon one with my Edge 800 and have no problems.

I use the Decathlon one with my Edge 500 - works fine.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The Decathlon one is cheap, but pretty ugly, although good for bikes with weird chain stay shapes. I had to take 2 back because they stopped working within a few weeks. Suspect water ingress was to blame. 3rd one has been OK for a few months now. The included neodymium magnet for the pedal spindle is cool.

I have also had 2 GSC-10s die on me so not a fan of them either: fragile reed sensor in speed arm breaks after a while. Would never buy another.

The best of those I've had is the Motorola Activ one, which appears identical to the Bontrager Interchange speed/cadence sensor. It's a one piece unit like the GSC-10 but attaches with a rubber o-ring affair instead of cable ties so it's easy to swap between bikes. Seems to be more reliable than the Garmin ones and neater than the Decathlon one.