Speccing a bike, which groupset?

Jules Winnfield
Jules Winnfield Posts: 299
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Im speccing up a bike from Ribble and im unsure as to what groupset to go for. My choices are the Campagnolo Veloce or the Shimano 105. Does anyone have any experience of either and given the choice, which would you go for?
Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set

Comments

• Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Me too. What are you going for?

For me it's pretty easy. Only have experience of Shimano so 105 for me. Plus my wheels are Shimano compatible so no choice really. Two mechanics I know are not fans of Campag stuff. A case of form over function in their opinion, especially at the lower end. I have Ultegra currently but happy to step down to 105 to get the build in on budget.
  • Im going for the Ribble 7005 Sportive. I used Shimano on my old bike and used to swear by it. Maybe im looking through rose coloured glasses at the Campag stuff, simply because its legendary Italian gear whereas i feel the Shimano is more bulletproof.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Is there a SRAM option?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Camcycle1974
    Nope or I would have gone Force. Always liked Sram stuff but Ribble don't currently seem to deal with them.
  • Camcycle1974
    Im going for the Ribble 7005 Sportive. I used Shimano on my old bike and used to swear by it. Maybe im looking through rose coloured glasses at the Campag stuff, simply because its legendary Italian gear whereas i feel the Shimano is more bulletproof.

Nice. Been seduced by the R872. The stealth look is not everyones cup of tea but I love it :lol:
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I think a lot of people who talk Campagnolo down have no or little experience of using it. I have always thought that the campag alternatives are always better than their supposed shimano counterpart. Veloce is better than Tiagra, Athena better than 105, Chorus is lightyears ahead of Ultegra and Record and Super record just edge Dura-Ace for me.

Although I would say that the 105, if it is FULL 105 and not a mix with Tiagra or 3rd party bits, is a better option than Veloce but only just.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think a lot of people who talk Campagnolo down have no or little experience of using it.

Indeed. My only complaint is the Powertorque/shift dumbing down of Centaur and Veloce. I think Camcycles mechanics probably don't know much about Campag - the function is generally faultless and the form a matter of personal taste. Arguably, the big differences (aside from the multi downshift that Shimano still can't manage) is simply the serviceability of Campagnolo kit even if they are seemingly trying to cut down on that. I'd always prefer something that can be repaired rather than something that has to be thrown away and replaced in its entirety.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Although I would say that the 105, if it is FULL 105 and not a mix with Tiagra or 3rd party bits, is a better option than Veloce but only just.

It is the full 105 Steve. Drivetrain, chainset, chain, cassette, bottom bracket cups and brake calipers.
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    You can't not go for the full 105,won't let you down and I assume a good price knowing Ribble.
  • Camcycle1974
    Sure there is not much in it. Going for 105 as i am familiar with it and only 150 more than tiara in their special offer section. Have no personal experience with campag which i made clear but talking to two mechanics independently , neither of them rated it over shimano/sram . Bias is possible though. Chorus, record etc i am sure are top notch.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I've used both Veloce (both the powershift and earlier ultrashift versions) and 105 and prefer the Veloce (though it's a shame ultrashift is not available anymore).

It's very much a personal preference though. Both work very well - it's more a difference in feel. 105 is very smooth and effortless - but others would say it doesn't offer much feedback. You know when you've changed gear with a Campag group, there's a little more effort involved and a satisfying recoil - or too much effort - depending on your preferences.

Also, the feel of the Campag hoods is much more ergonomic.

Best see if you can find a campag bike in a local shop to try out - if you don't think that's too cheeky.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Go with either, you'll be fine. My first bike was Shimano equipped so I've standardised on that. If you've got other bikes already then Id recommend keeping in the same family. It makes it a lot easier for swapping components between bikes if required, e.g. I have a PowerTap wheel and I can use it on all my bikes and by having everything on Shimano, I can limit the number of cassettes I buy but still have a 27-12, 25-11 and 23-11 to cover the varying riding I do. Plus you only need 1 set of tools for BB's, lock rings etc.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Decisions decisions. The 105 equipped bike would cost £85 more but thats not any problem cos the cash has been saved and the bike is ready to order once i get back from Spain next month. Like a few have said, i do need to try and find a bike shop with a bike fitted with the Campag gear cos i do prefer the hoods on the Veloce brake/gear shift levers over the 105.

Im just concerned about the build quality of both groupsets. With the Shimmy stuff being Japanese so i believe, im just wondering if that might be the better quality set than the Veloce.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Nope - Campag quality is very high - and it's generally repairable too.