Difference between Athena Ultrashift and Chorus Ultrashift

andyoh
andyoh Posts: 115
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Chaps,

I'm after a bit of advice. I have a set of Athena 11 speed Ultrashift levers which I'm considering selling to get some new Chorus 11 speed Ultrashift levers to match the other Chorus components that will be going onto my new frame.

My question is: is Chorus Ultrashift and different to Athena Ultrashift?

Thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,250
    In the past Chorus and Record used to have one bearing inside the shifter, responsible for the extra smoothness, these days I don't know what is the difference between Chorus and the lower series
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My understanding is that Athena Ultra shift still only gives you up to 3 up-shifts at a time and a single down-shift, is that the case with yours? Chorus and above gives 5 up shifts and 3 down shifts.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    drlodge wrote:
    My understanding is that Athena Ultra shift still only gives you up to 3 up-shifts at a time and a single down-shift, is that the case with yours? Chorus and above gives 5 up shifts and 3 down shifts.

No - that's the Powershift that is only a single downshift. OP is referring to the older, good Ultrashift Athena shifters rather than the new crap ones!

There will be differences but effectively unnoticeable - eg the shifter bodies move from plan plastic to increasing composite as you move up the range. But for the most part, the odd bearing rather than bushing aside, there isn't any big difference.

I'm gradually converting my Look which started as Centaur/Record mix to full Record. Except for the shifters. I like the new shape hoods but those don't come in 10 speed Record. I could swap over the internals of a 10 speed Record mech into a new body but it is a lot of bother for what, if I'm honest, would be an exercise in getting a 'Record' label on my brake levers rather than a Centaur label! So, the bike will end up full Record but with Centaur shifters.

Not so complex in the OPs case but I wouldn't be rushing to get the Chorus shifters unless a super bargain turned up. Besides, a bike really shouldn't have a 100% fully matching groupset. It suggests lack of use!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andyoh
    andyoh Posts: 115
    Rolf is correct, my Athena shifters are the older Athena Shifters and therefore Ultrashift i.e 3 up and 5 down. I may just keep them and put the money that will be spent on Chorus shifters towards the wheels I'm planning on buying. If the only diffrence really is the name on the lever then there is no point in selling the Athena shifters I have. I'll just buy a new Campag cable set to fit to the new frame when it arrives.

Thanks for your replies, I 've learnt something today. Cheers.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Chorus shifters are little bit lighter but not enough to justify new shifters (about 30g or so). The new chorus will have a carbon brake lever where as the new Athena for refernece has a carbon wrapped alloy brake lever like centaur does. In fcat Centaur shifters are 5g heavier than Veloce.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,250
    Chorus shifters are little bit lighter but not enough to justify new shifters (about 30g or so). The new chorus will have a carbon brake lever where as the new Athena for refernece has a carbon wrapped alloy brake lever like centaur does. In fcat Centaur shifters are 5g heavier than Veloce.

Any difference that actually matters? Like the inside gears made of alloy instead of plastic or titanium instead of baboon's bones?
    left the forum March 2023