Upgrade advice

Parry
Parry Posts: 16
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, I have a Specialized Sirrus Comp hybrid bike which I'm using for a mix of road/towpath/trail riding. I've read that upgrading the wheels often sees the best return on your investment over other components. My bike is totally standard, would I see a benefit in upgrading the wheels? Any other upgrades you would suggest?

Comments

• Usual advice is to upgrade the tyres and tubes first. Then look at the wheels. However the best bang for your buck is specific tyres, e.g. for on road, but as your riding is a mixture it's always going to be a compromise.
  • Parry
    There will be the rare occasion where I'll be riding on road only so I think I'll keep a set of road specific tyres but 90% it'll be mixed. Any wheelset suggestions that doesn't break the bank?
  • Parry wrote:
    There will be the rare occasion where I'll be riding on road only so I think I'll keep a set of road specific tyres but 90% it'll be mixed. Any wheelset suggestions that doesn't break the bank?

You can get wheelsets from about £50 to several thousand, so it depends what you mean.
  • Parry
    £300 is probably max I'd want to spend.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    the scale has diminishing returns

more than £300, its all about the colour or brand or this years must have components (thats if you follow that idea) so that should be the upper limit

hope hoops, lifetime warranty and UK made, but there are other options including custom built...
  • Parry
    Any model specific? And can the same wheels take different size tyres?
  • Parry wrote:
    Any model specific? And can the same wheels take different size tyres?

tbh, go on Wiggle and search for wheelsets for £300. There's any number of makes most of which do the same thing.
    700c wheels can take different widths of tyre, yes. However your bike frame / brakes may not be able to accommodate wider sizes.