Help - buying advice needed - Boardman vs Pinarello

matt01061983
matt01061983 Posts: 5
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and have been very impressed by everyones knowledge and expertise and was hoping I could get some help clearing something up before I buy my next bike. I am looking for a carbon road bike that is good for sportif's and recreational weekend club riding. I love the look of the Pinarello's and was dead set to buy but after doing some research I cant seem to see past the Boardman range for spec and value. The Boardman Team Carbon and Pinarello ROKH 105 seem to a very similar spec; however, I can get a 20% discount on the team carbon and get for roughly £1000 down from its £1299 rrp whereas the Pinarello is priced at £2549. Judging on the below specs,

Frame - BTC = Carbon; ROKH = Carbon
Brake - BTC = Shimano 105; ROKH = Shimano 105
Brake Type - BTC = Dual Pivot Caliper Brake; ROKH = Dual Pivot Caliper Brake
Gear - BTC = Shimano 105; ROKH = Shimano 105
Gear Shifters - BTC = Shimano 105; ROKH = Shimano 105
Chainset - BTC = FSA Gossamer Pro BB30 compact crank 50/34T; ROKH = Shimano 105
Approx Weight - BTC = 8.25kg; ROKH = 10kg
Price - BTC = £1299; ROKH = £2549

When looking at the above it seems like a no brainer to buy the Boardman Team Carbon. Can somebody please let me know why the Pinarello would be so much more expensive and if there is something that would justify the extra money and what you would opt for?

Thanks in advance
Matt

Comments

• Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    Brand Snobbery - Pinerallos are very sexy , in brand of MAMILS but I've never ridden one so can't comment
    I have a Boardman Team Carbon purchased for a steal at under £1000 (600 on btw) which is very light, sprightly bike with good geometry aero frame, SRAM rival and Ritchey wheels on new models have now been upgraded to Mavic Askiums and 105 , which arguably are better, though I have had no issues I do prefer Ultegra on my Trek Madone 5 series, which whilst a smoother stiffer ride overall is by no means 3.5 times better than my Boardman... Im sure others may disagree
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Making lists of relative specs makes you a 'Boardman' type person. It's what Chris would do.
  • 16mm wrote:
    Making lists of relative specs makes you a 'Boardman' type person. It's what Chris would do.

:D gotta love the spec comparisons..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Boardman - head

pinarello - heart (plus an extra 1.2k).

The boardman gets excellent reviews and are regarded as awesome bikes by their owners, but you get the brand snobbery plus halfords assembly, which might put you off unless you can get someone to check it over for you 1st to ensure bolts tightened, gears adjusted etc.

The pinarello is held in high regard as an italian superbike, but does cost a hell of a lot for what it is (1.5kg extra? WTF), and 2.5k elsewhere will get you something pretty special.

Given you are looking at spending 1k or 2.5k essentially you are looking at potentially 2 very different bikes.

If your upper limit was 1k - get the boardman, immediately. Join British Cycling, quidco and the rest and get even more off.

If your upper limit is 2.5K, dont get the pina, go elsewhere.
  • coriordan wrote:
    The boardman gets excellent reviews and are regarded as awesome bikes by their owners, but you get the brand snobbery plus halfords assembly, which might put you off unless you can get someone to check it over for you 1st to ensure bolts tightened, gears adjusted etc.

I'm guessing he's buying the Pinarello from Halfords as well...
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I have both bikes. Forget all the magazine marketing reviews...this is my own experience

Pinarello FP2 - 2011 (£2000)`
    Board Team Carbon 2010 (£1000)

I prefer to ride the Boardman. Its ligter and faster up the hills. Back in 2010 the Boardman's were better spec'd with SRAM Rival (but now they are 105 groupset). However still fantastic bikes.

I would consider selling my Pinarello because I hardly use it. But I would never ever sell my Boardman, it has some magic about it that leaves you wanting to ride it more and more. It feels like its connected to my body.
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    I have both bikes. Forget all the magazine marketing reviews...this is my own experience

Pinarello FP2 - 2011 (£2000)`
    Board Team Carbon 2010 (£1000)

I prefer to ride the Boardman. Its ligter and faster up the hills. Back in 2010 the Boardman's were better spec'd with SRAM Rival (but now they are 105 groupset). However still fantastic bikes.

I would consider selling my Pinarello because I hardly use it. But I would never ever sell my Boardman, it has some magic about it that leaves you wanting to ride it more and more. It feels like its connected to my body.

Don't worry about the Halfords link, just get it checked out by a LBS but make sure you take it back for the 6 week service to ensure you don't void the 2 year warranty. I do like SRAM but 105 is still good, not as light but mechanically smooher if not better, especially changing on the big cassette.

Smallbloke is spot on Boardman's are a fantastic magic ride even on the factory wheels, even better if you give the frame the better wheels it deserves
  • Thanks everyone for your help and insights. Looks like the Boardman is a no brainer :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    well it depends! if you must spend 2.5K look at Canyon
  • Coming from a boardman team carbon owner who loves his bike, I say Pinarello.

My reasoning is that although I think the boardman is a great bike the after sales service received from Halfords is crap.

Case in point I visited two stores at the weekend to try and source a mech hanger. The first person I met at store one couldn't even navigate around the stores ordering computer.

The second store was a bit better but couldn't find them in stock at head office.

Both stores said they would call me back. To date I've received no phone calls.

I've managed to source a mech hanger from Evans (it's the same as theirs Pinnacle Dolomite).

Every time I've ever needed Halfords it's always been like pulling my own teeth out.

My logic is buy an established brand at least and if possible buy from a bike shop and forge a relationship with them.

I've come to the conclusion that you'll pay more with that strategy but when you need after sales support there's more chance of getting it.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Why not get a Boardman Elite SLR 9 £1999, not available from Halfords, then spend the rest on other goodies.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    Why not get a Boardman Elite SLR 9 £1999, not available from Halfords, then spend the rest on other goodies.
    I heard from a Boardman Elite dealer near me that for 2014 they are releasing an 'L' version of their SLR 9 bike, which will have 105/Aksium spec for around £1600 so kind of a nice halfway point between the Team Carbon and the Elite range as mentioned by DD... might be worth looking at as well.
    Cheers,
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • I would agree with Marin Maniac re the service and assembly quality offered by Halfords (as would most people I think!!), however I would still definitely recommend the Boardman range of bikes. I have recently purchased a Boardman FI for my girlfriend and when we got it home, I spent about an hour tightening up the majority of the components. We have since had it in at our LBS for a £50 service and it is running like a dream now :)......so, buy the Boardman and then run like hell out of Halfords and never go back! (unless you are buying another Boardman.....fingers crossed though they will realise how much Halfords are damaging their reputation and find alternative distributors :))
    Giant Defy 1
  • Good shout - after looking at the Boardman elite range they do look ridiculously good for the money. I cant believe how much the Pinarello ROKH is for the spec you get. Was speaking to a rider in a club ride last week who always dreamed of owning a pinarello but never has due to not being able to ever justify the value for money when looking at specs.

Boardman air looks quality - how Boardman cram in so much spec for the price is a mystery to me compared to what you get from other manufacturers.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If you are looking for Boardmans that Halfords dont sell try Echelon http://www.echelon-cycles.co.uk/boardman.html

They sell a lot of them apparently, one of their Teams are sponsored by Boardman I think too, so they know their stuff.

Maybe take a look at the SLR as well as the AIR? ...non-aero, but lighter, better for climbing perhaps.

Worth giving them a call I reckon.
  • Pkh72
    Pkh72 Posts: 5
    suddaby22 wrote:
    I would agree with Marin Maniac re the service and assembly quality offered by Halfords (as would most people I think!!), however I would still definitely recommend the Boardman range of bikes. I have recently purchased a Boardman FI for my girlfriend and when we got it home, I spent about an hour tightening up the majority of the components. We have since had it in at our LBS for a £50 service and it is running like a dream now :)......so, buy the Boardman and then run like hell out of Halfords and never go back! (unless you are buying another Boardman.....fingers crossed though they will realise how much Halfords are damaging their reputation and find alternative distributors :))

Agree absolutely with both of you regarding Halfords, branch I dealt with were terrible.

The bike however is a gem (Team carbon) and the trials of dealing with Halfords were forgotten after the first ride.
    My bike is nearly due the 6 week check but I've got it booked in with a local bike mechanic, i'm certainly not intending to take it through Halfords doors again.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The ROKH weighs the same as my Scale...

Pinarello's never appealed to me. Over-priced and tubby, like a Kentucky hooker.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg