Newbie help with clicking chain

s1paulj
s1paulj Posts: 13
edited August 2013 in MTB beginners
HI all,
I just got myself a Carrera Fury which had been left in a shed and had a bit of surface rust here and there. It all cleaned up a treat, but as the chain had some rust on it, although it ran and changed gear fine, i decided to change it.
I bought a Shimano Ultegra chain, but on trying to fit it the pin broke before i had it inserted - must have not had the chain tool square - doh!
Any way my LBS sold me a Sram power link, which said 'suitable for 10 speed chains' on the packet, which i fitted and all seemed fine, although it took quite a lot of force to get the power link to snap into place. but the first time i took it out the chain creaks / ticks all the time - even under no load pedaling - i've checked and its installed correctly - right way round etc and the correct rout through the derailuer, also the power link is not tight and moves freely. its driving me nuts - it was ultra quiet with the old rusty chain on! the cassette and chain rings don't appear to be worn...
Any suggestions?
Regards
Paul

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You need the correct speed? You you have that?
  • s1paulj
    I'm new to all this, but its a 10 speed chain on a 10 speed cassette, which i think is correct.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    New chain, old cassette, simples.
  • s1paulj
    So does that mean the cassette is worn?
  • s1paulj
    I've had a look at the cassette and there is no sign of wear. the teeth are symetrical, no hooking or burring of the teeth. Also i measured the chain i took off, and there is no wear in that either - 12 links are exactly 12", as i say replaced it as it had some rust on it.
    Any other options?
  • s1paulj
    Very strange, went for a ride today and after about 5 miles I suddenly realised the clicking had stopped and all is fine now. Odd!
    Thanks for all the suggestions though.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    s1paulj wrote:
    Very strange, went for a ride today and after about 5 miles I suddenly realised the clicking had stopped and all is fine now. Odd!
    My mountain bike did that, there was some crap on the casette that needed to be worn out, and the lube needed to be worked into the chain.

I didn't know a 10 speed road chain was the same width as an MTB one though!
  • s1paulj
    Now you've got me worried I've bought the wrong chain. I just checked the hellfrauds Web sites where I bought it and it mentions nothing about road or mtb, neither does the spec sheet that came with it. However the wiggle Web sites does specify road use only.
    As I say I'm new to all this, so what's the difference?
    Cheers
  • s1paulj
    The only difference I can see with a quick Google search is that the shimano cn-6701 chain I have doesn't like 3 ring fronts, but hopefully, as I have a 2x10 set up I'll be okay.
    One lesson I've learned in all this is to stop using hellfrauds!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Nah, you'll be ok, I just learnt from this that they're the same! I was told that a 9 speed rear mtb mech, would work fine with a 10 speed road shifter and cassette - long story, don't ask! - so I wrongly assumed there were allsorts of oddities between the two systems.
    I own a road bike, but don't really know jack sh*t about it :lol:
  • your probably getting chain skipping. you've got a stiff link which may be making it click. Another thing could be the old chainrings or the old cassette. When replacing stuff on the drivetrain replace it ALL