Peak District route for teenager

nickrymer
nickrymer Posts: 5
edited August 2013 in Routes
Hi
New to the forum but could do with some advice please.

I promised my lad a weekend away in the MTB over these holidays. I was thinking about the Peak District somewhere like Hope or Edale.

I am a average rider who can easily do 20+ miles on/off road, but my 14 year old son is not quite there. He wants a challenge but is weary of steep descents. I want to challenge him a little to give him some confidence and therefore are looking for some advice in what sort of routes to go on. I'm hoping on full days riding so we can take it easy and collapse on the night. We don't mind walking up steep hills if required (well I don't).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated along with any recommendations of campsites / hostels etc.

Cheers - Nick

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I would go and buy a copy of OS Outdoor Leisure 1, this covers most of the trails in this area.

You can then plan your own route which you think is suitable for you and your son, plus if it becomes too much, an escape back to base can be found.

You may also find that some of the routes of 20 miles or so feel more like 50 as they are pretty rock strewn or bog.

As for camp sites I've always stayed in Edale as there is a choice.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb - much appreciated
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    Quite a lot of the descents in the Peak District are steep, technical and very rocky especially around Edale. Do you want to scare the kid or build his confidence? I find trail centres less daunting as most stuff is rollable, where are you based?
  • Cheers

A centre may be the way to go - don't want any injury's.

It is more of a confidence thing really - I only ever learnt by "just doing it"

I'm based in Hull
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    The peak district around edale is great:)

Try ladybower reservior. IIRC there are marked mtb routes but not purpose built trails per say

The loop from Edale over to Hayfield then back over Jacob's Ladder is a classic
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    If it were me I'd camp in Upper Booth, and just ride out from there. Loads of directions to go off in and make loops from, very close to Jacobs Ladder, can ride over to Ladybower easily, over the top down to Castleton and out the back of there, literally heaps of potential.

Get yourself a map like someone else has said and have a look at the possibilities. The only thing you won't really get a feel for is how tricky the trails are until you're there. Suppose you could try and find some clips of the area on youtube to get a vague idea.
  • Many thanks for all replies