bottom bracket sizing guide?

se99paj
se99paj Posts: 22
edited August 2013 in MTB beginners
So I decided to try and build my own mountain bike, I managed to get a frame and a few other bits off eBay, I'm going to use some parts from an old bike to try and keep costs down.

But I'm going to need a new bottom bracket and I'm a bit confused, how do you know what length it needs to be? I know the shell needs to be 68mm but what about the spindle? Some websites make it sound like trial and error.

Is it going to make more sense to just take it down to my local bike shop?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on the cranks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • se99paj
    They are triple cranksets, but I'm guessing its a bit more complicated that that. Is it possible to measure the crankset to be absolutely sure?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no it depends on what they are. make model year and part number.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Techdocs for the cranks should tell you the axle size needed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • se99paj
    Just had a quick Google, my crank is an ofmega sierra, but couldn't find much info.

The gears and derailleurs are all shimano, I'm thinking buying a shimano crank might make more sense as I can get decent info on the bb.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    If you get a hollowtech II crankset from Shimano, then it makes everything far easier.
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    It doesn't look good news as far as Sheldon's concerned:http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

Get a Shimano SLX second hand. Going rate for one is about £80 and the BBs are cheap and easy to install.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    pete_s wrote:
    the BBs are cheap and easy to install.
    Cough Shell facing cough.....

If you don't know the axle width required it is trial and error, see if you can borrow one locally (start with 118mm as most common) assemble, measure chain line, buy the right length (unless 118mm works!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.