Rockshox Revelation bottoming out and no lock out?

duncanhankins
duncanhankins Posts: 12
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, first time poster here a relative bike mechanic newb. I have a pair of Rockshox Revelation u turn which have been working fine and dandy until today, they were bottoming out with relative ease and the pop lock wasn't erm locking anything. The top of the fork was rotating but not locking the fork out. Am I missing something and where should I start with regards to fault finding?

Many thanks for any help.
Dunc

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Air or coil forks? Damper needs servicing it seems though, kits available on ebay cheaply.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Air or coil forks? Damper needs servicing it seems though, kits available on ebay cheaply.
    As there is a valve both top and bottom of the righthand leg, I would go for Air. However I'm not sure I fancy servicing them myself so may well take them to a bike shop.

Thanks for your help :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    will be dual air. when was the last time you checked the pressures?

but as above with the lock out needs a service.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Not that long ago, forgive my ignorance but can the air leak out?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It can (shouldn't but can).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the response so far. But i appear to have gone from bottoming out to locked solid. No idea what has happened but sending them to TF tuned might be the answer as I don't think there is anywhere near me in cambridge that can do this themselves?
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    Sounds like hydraulic lockout - a damper seal has gone and all the oil has gone into the lower leg :(
  • maringirl wrote:
    Sounds like hydraulic lockout - a damper seal has gone and all the oil has gone into the lower leg :(
    Sounds... Expensive? Is it easy to fix?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very, just take apart and replace the seal!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What will I need to do the job? Like exactly what will I need?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seals and tools and a read of the RS techdocs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the help everyone :-)