Upgrading my Defy

nick9one1
nick9one1 Posts: 22
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm relatively new to cycling and bought a defy 5 a year ago, and now doing rides of about 100 miles fairly regularly. I really like the bike but its got a few issues I'd like to resolve.

The first was brakes, they're really terrible. When I pull the lever I can 'see' the calipers flexing after the pads have touched the rim. when braking I have to squeeze the brakes really hard. I thought it was probably a combination of caliper and pad. So found a pair of nearly new Ultegra 6600's on ebay for £50 delivered. They come with shoes (which my current ones don't have) and I've also bought some koolstop salmons. - Hopefully that's sorted.

The second thing I'd like to address is the gear shifting. I've had it to a couple of LBS's and they've adjusted the gears as well as they can, but still not perfect. Sometimes it doesnt seem to shift properly, and I have to go up/down or down/up so it doesnt rub. Also the shifters rattle quite a bit.

So I was thinking of upgrading maybe the rear mech and shifters. the bike currently has Shimano 2300 all round. So what options do I have of swapping bits out to Ultegra?

For example, if I bought some 6700 shiters, would they work with my front/rear mechs? or do I need to buy the whole groupset/other bits to make it work?

Thanks!
Nick

Comments

• the other option is just to buy something new on the cycle to work scheme, and use this as a commuter...
  • 2300 is 8 speed. Ultegra 6700 is 10 speed, so pretty much none of the bits will work together, so you're going to have to replace the lot. If upgrading from 2300 I'd personally recommend looking at 105 instead, has the advantages of Ultegra with under bar routing, 10 speed etc, but is a good bit cheaper.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Keep a check on the classified section here - you can usually pick up some good bargains.

Generally speaking the Shimano stuff is pretty robust across the different ranges so as long as you stick with 10-speed, you can mix and match between 105, Ultegra and DA.

As above, I would recommend you look out for some 105 10-speed shifters, then see what's available in terms of rear mechs, front mechs and cassettes
  • arlowood wrote:
    Generally speaking the Shimano stuff is pretty robust across the different ranges so as long as you stick with 10-speed, you can mix and match between 105, Ultegra and DA.

Qualified by saying only current 105 and the previous models of Ultegra and Dura Ace.
  • Something else I wondered was frame differences between the Defy range.

I was looking at the Defy 1, and the difference in equipment. It seems that its pretty much specced out with 105. I've already changed the saddle, brakes, tyres on my 5. So If I was to upgrade to a 105 gearset would it essentially be a defy 1?

Just thinking about the cost difference of upgrading vs selling the 5 and getting the 1 on the cycle to work scheme.
  • I think the frame is the same. A guy in our group has a 3 to my 1, and they're basically the same as far as I can tell. The only difference is the stuff you've mentioned, a press-fit BB and the welds are smoothed over.

How much are you looking to spend on your upgrades? At some point it is better just looking at buying a new bike.
  • I think the frame is the same. A guy in our group has a 3 to my 1, and they're basically the same as far as I can tell. The only difference is the stuff you've mentioned, a press-fit BB and the welds are smoothed over.

How much are you looking to spend on your upgrades? At some point it is better just looking at buying a new bike.

that's what I was thinking...

doing a few sums...
    I could probably sell the 5 for a couple of hundred quid and put that towards a Defy 0 (£1200). On the C2W scheme the final cost would be £680, and based on 12 month hire period: £56.67.

I could easily see myself spending £50 a month on various bits.. but then i would probably still find things to upgrade on the 0!
  • I think the trick is getting a bike that is some way ahead of your ability, and will remain so for a while without significant upgrades.

I went for the Defy 1 for that reason. I figured it was better to get it than, say, a 3 and then start upgrading. Those upgrades are to some extent inevitable and so it was cheaper to just buy a bike that included all of that in the first place.

Apart from wheels and saddle, I don't see myself upgrading my 1 much at all. But in a couple of years I may buy a new bike, or a new frame and port the kit over to it.

I don't know if I would buy a Defy 0 though, not already owning a 3. For over a grand you could buy a completely new bike, new style, from a new manufacturer. Its even possible to get Defy Composites for around a grand in the end of season sales.

It all just comes down to how much money you have and how you want to spend it. Some people prefer to minimise their short-term expenditure, so buy low and build it up, whereas others (like me) would rather just take the hit in one go, if it makes it cheaper overall.