OK so I have this £7.99 waterproof jacket..

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
I got it from Decathlon and it folds up into a small pouch. I keep it in my bag along with some overtrousers in case it rains because my windcheater isn't waterproof. It doesn't have any open seams for breathability yet claims it is brathable fabric. When I commute home I just wear the cotton short sleeve shirt I wear at the office as it will go in the wash when I get home. The thing is - when I get home and peel the jacket off I am absolutely drenched to the bone underneath it. Can this just be from sweat? It really is like wearing a bin-bag. I really don't want to have to bother with wearing some sort of long sleeve jumper to form a barrier between my sweat and the jacket, and would rather get a better waterproof yet lightweight jacket that maybe has some sort of lining that is more condusive to the distrbution of moisture on the inside. Can anyone make any suggestions? £20 is the most I want to pay.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not known any fabric that is totally waterproof and lets sweat out. But cotton is a no no with them, you need a wicking fabric as cotton will cling to sweat.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Wot supersonic said.

My route home is uphill and my cycling shirt (wicking fabric) gets soaked by sweat most days.

On the downhill way to work, if it is cool enough, my waterproof jacket does keep me dry without too much sweat. But it uses a top of the range fabric - eVent, which is more breathable than most types of Gore-Tex and about equivalent to their best performing fabrics. I also have all the venting pockets open.
  • In general, you have the choice of 'boil-in-the-bag' or not waterproof when it comes to the cheaper end of jackets.
    At the top end you may find something between the two - but they are way more expensive than £20.

At the moment, in this heat, I just get wet. In the winter, the boil-in-the-bag keeps me warm.
    For anything in between, I have a windstopper (which is showerproof).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • you'd be lucky to get a waterproof 'but breathable' jacket for £100 - and even then it'd be in the sale.

but it depends on how far/fast you ride, how much you normally sweat and how cold it is and so on. Sometimes you can get away with the boil in the bag jacket...but it sounds like you're not.

I wouldn't wear anything in this weather, even a £300 waterproof, it's way too hot and you're better off getting wet from rain than sweat
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    with the weather at the moment on rainy days i just wear a long sleeve baselaer under my jersey (short sleev so i look cool 90s style!!) and that is all i need really, i get wet but its not cold and dries off pretty quickly once the sun is out again.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Unless it's properly raining, I find not bothering with my waterproofs leaves me drier...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Breathable is a waste of time on the bike. You sweat. And when it rains the humidity outside the jacket is high so there is no humidty gradient for your warm sweaty air to permeate through the jacket. Outside air is warmer then inside air, so the jacket fabric is cool. So your sweaty humid air will condensate to water on the inside of the jacket. You get wet.

Great business thought flogging breathable jackets.

I have a cheap race cape that is not 'waterproof' but does cut the wind chill and packs up small into the back pocket. I also have a communter flouro waterproof goretex jacket that the other half bought me at great expense. It is ok to commute on days when it is cold and likely to rain. Or when it is really lashing down. I ride slower to stop sweat buildup.

With cycling when it rains you get wet I'm afraid.
  • chris_bass
    I think if it were more socially acceptable, cycling naked would be your best bet!! I find my skin to be both breathable and waterproof!!

probably just one for the warmer days and quieter roads though!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I think if it were more socially acceptable, cycling naked would be your best bet!! I find my skin to be both breathable and waterproof!!

Show off.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    £7.99 for a bin liner .............. you've been had.

Gore-tex is the most breathable waterproof fabric on the market. New Gortex Pro just launched 28% more breathable than "old" Goretex plus a lot more durable. However for cycling I would not wear Gore-tex or similar breathable fabric unless it was cold or very wet. In warm weather you will just boil in the bag. For Gore-tex to work best temp needs to be below 15C. However better would be a windproof shell which is a lot more breathable, still has good water repellency but not waterproof. This is a lot more breathable and lighter than Goretex, eVent, Hyvent, Textapore, etc.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • chris_bass
    dilemna wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Show off.

I didnt say it would be pleasant to look at!! but would help with the getting wet scenario!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Whetever you buy make sure it's very breathable in the arm pits, one of mine has mesh there and it helps a lot.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • chris_bass
    i made the mistake of wearing my waterproof this morning, weather forecast had terrential rain due for the morning and it looked pretty overcast and drizzling before I left so thought i'd put it on.

No rain came, was about 17 or 18 degrees the whole way in, head wind most of the way! needless to say I was more than a little clamy when I got to work!!
  • Bustacapp
    Chris Bass wrote:
    i made the mistake of wearing my waterproof this morning, weather forecast had terrential rain due for the morning and it looked pretty overcast and drizzling before I left so thought i'd put it on.

No rain came, was about 17 or 18 degrees the whole way in, head wind most of the way! needless to say I was more than a little clamy when I got to work!!

Funny you should say that. I wore my non waterproof windcheater on the basis that although wet, it was not raining when I left the house. Within about 2 clicks the biggest downpour I've ever seen was unleashed.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I use a gilet with the neck open a little to vent, I find that it's the arms that get wringing wet with a jacket, as long as the wet and cold air isn't on my chest I keep warm
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • chris_bass
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Funny you should say that. I wore my non waterproof windcheater on the basis that although wet, it was not raining when I left the house. Within about 2 clicks the biggest downpour I've ever seen was unleashed.

looking out the window now it may have been a good idea!! still got an hour to stop though!!
  • Bustacapp
    surely this would keep me dry?
    63400113_l.jpg
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Bustacapp wrote:
    63400113_l.jpg

It depends whether you prefer getting soaked by sweat or rain.
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    The hood won't stay up when you cycle along unless you pull it down tight, then you won't be about to see where you are going because it will be getting in the way of your eyes.

Get a dhb Minima S or a dhb Wisp. I have a Wisp. It doesn't really get any cheaper than that.
  • Bustacapp
    jimmypippa wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    63400113_l.jpg

It depends whether you prefer getting soaked by sweat or rain.

I reckon it would be okay in the depths of winter?