Novice doing full bike service

jamie1996
jamie1996 Posts: 6
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone, my GT avalanche 2.0 needs a service and i am thinking of doing it all myself to save money and also i would quite like to learn how to do it, however i have no bike repair experience although i'm ok at following instructions and using tools. How hard will it be to do the following (I have all the parts and tools needed.):

.Bleed brakes
.Fit new front and rear derailleur
.Fit new chain
.Replace gear cables

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    depends on the brakes. download and read the manual.

read parktools as see what you think.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy.
    Only bleed the brakes if they actually need it, not just because you are fiddling.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    Fitting front and real deraileur is easy, the problem with doing it first time is trying to figure out how the damn things come off.

When I first done it, it just went at it and started to loosen the allen bolts that looked like they held it in place, took notes. I am not going to lie, if your are not used to tuning the rear deraileur...you are going to have a heck of a time readjusting the thing haha. Even more so if you are replacing the cables! (which is also easy btw, just remove the old ones and remember how they fit)

I wouldn't touch the brakes if you have never bled them before, wait until it needs done imo.

Also fitting a new chain is easy, just make sure you have a chain breaker, most chains come with at least 2-3 links over the ideal length.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Replacing the rear dearailleur isn't servicing, does it need changing?

Setting up the rear mech is easy, check the 'how to' on Parktools website ("Read this first" in CD's sig above).

Make sure you size the chain properly (parktools again) and make sure you have the bits to join it (powerlink or joining pin).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    The Rookie wrote:
    Replacing the rear dearailleur isn't servicing, does it need changing?

Setting up the rear mech is easy, check the 'how to' on Parktools website ("Read this first" in CD's sig above).

Make sure you size the chain properly (parktools again) and make sure you have the bits to join it (powerlink or joining pin).

I actually meant the front mech, I find that tediously difficult to deal with! :D
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    jamie1996 wrote:
    Hi everyone, my GT avalanche 2.0 needs a service and i am thinking of doing it all myself to save money and also i would quite like to learn how to do it, however i have no bike repair experience although i'm ok at following instructions and using tools. How hard will it be to do the following (I have all the parts and tools needed.):

.Bleed brakes
    .Fit new front and rear derailleur
    .Fit new chain
    .Replace gear cables

Thanks
    How much of that actually needs doing?