Headset - Spare Bit

Chrisrus13
Chrisrus13 Posts: 39
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi

Im putting my headset together as per the diagram from the Cannondale manual here (last page):
http://media.cannondale.com/media/Manuals/2012_Synapse_Carbon_OMS_127939_0711.pdf

Im left with a one of these:

IMG_1640_zps2d9bf8b8.jpg

Any ideas as to where I need to put it?

Heres a pic of how I have everything at the moment.

IMG_1639_zps16b3dea4.jpg

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    looks like a fork crown race...

Bicycle_headset_(threadless)_exploded_view-en1.jpg

goes over the steerer, needs a bit of a whomp to fit, grease the steerer where it'll seat, use the proper tool, or appropiate sized pipe
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks, I did think that thats were it went. It just put me off that the Cannondale diagram didnt mention it and it didnt slide on without a whomping

Cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    needs a whomping. it is an interference fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Dont forget to use the correct tool - you need a Park Tools Whomper (nothing else will do the job properly)
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Dont forget to use the correct tool - you need a Park Tools Whomper (nothing else will do the job properly)

Or a bit of plastic pipe of the appropriate diameter (at 1/10th of the price)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    a) that picture at the back of the Cannondale manual seems to have no crown race!

b) the photo you posted of the thing assembled on your carpet seems to have a component below the lower bearing. Isn't that the crown race?
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Cut a slot in it with a hacksaw and it'll just slide straight on. No whomping required.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    styxd wrote:
    Cut a slot in it with a hacksaw and it'll just slide straight on. No whomping required.

Not sure I'd do that on a full carbon fork myself. I'd rather know it's a tight fit and not going anywhere. Worst case you've invalidated your warranty.