Best RainJacket out of these 2?

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Castelli Gabba (and is this the jacket that gets all the good reviews, I can't tell, or, is there a new Gabba coming out?)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/castelli-castelli-jackets-cycle-castelli-gabba-wind-rain-jacket/castzjac577

or

Rapha Rain Jacket

http://www.rapha.cc/rain-jacket

...does anyone own either to tell how small they fold up, both jersey pocket jobs?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The Gabba isn't a waterproof in the traditional sense - it's a tight-fitting windproof with a high degree of weather resistance - ride it in a downpour and you'll still get wet, particularly as the seam aren't sealed taped. Importantly though, you'll stay warmer and you won't get the flappy nylon feeling from a traditional waterproof shell fabric.

On the otherhand, no shell fabric (regardless of the maker's claims) can handle the perspiration from a cyclist when working hard IME, therefore whilst the rain stays off, you'll get damp inside due to the water vapour from your sweat. If you want a shell, look at the Castelli or Sportful offerings which use proven Gore fabrics rather than a big pricetag and so-so materials of the Rapha.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Gabba wearer here, fantastic bit of kit. Highly recommended. But it is a jersey.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Completely different pieces of kit.

You'd put the Rapha in your back pocket in case of rain. It would fill a pocket. Mine seems to.

The Gabba - you'd put on as your jersey if it was raining outside and you'd not take it off. Its too big for a pocket.

I've the short sleeve version - I'd go with that and the matching armwarmers - thats a more versatile combination.

I dont use my rapha rainjacket - its too nice to get messy - I prefer to use my Aldi cheapy jacket. Its a bit more flappy - doesnt look as cool - but 95% of the time it sits in my back pocket just in case - and it cost a fraction of the money - but it makes more sense if its raining - nice and fluo.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Was about to write pretty much exactly what Cougie has just set out !

Castelli is used as a jersey/light jacket and is too bulky for a back pocket to take with you. The Rapha is a back pocket jacket to go over a jersey/light jacket. I have both and they are both good. If its raining or high chance or rain when setting off, then I wear the Gabba, if it is dry when setting off but a possibility of rain, then the Rapha in the back pocket.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    I did Lands End John O'Groats in 2011, mostly in the pissing rain. The Rapha rain jacket was a late impulse purchase and I was very glad I bought it. It performs very well. The only downside for me is that the cuffs can get a bit saturated if it rains for ages, but it packs very small and is very light.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Thanks ever so much for the replies, I was finding the Gabba confusing... its not what I'm after, I will have a look at the Rapha one again and see if the buying finger is in the mood.