Puncture resistant racing tires

stevetaylor20
stevetaylor20 Posts: 22
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
hi guys,

i was just wondering if there was a specific tires that was good for racing on road but also quite resistant to punctures, ..to a reasonable level where performance is not compromised?

cheers!

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Conti gp4000s. Wiggle normally have a deal on where they throw in tubes
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Thank you....
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    just fit a racing tyre, punctures are rare

assuming you mean clinchers, look at...

veloflex corsa
    vittoria open corsa cx
    michelin pro 4 sc

...aim around 200-220g tyre weight, use latex tubes

tyres with extra puncture resistance will have higher crr, and they'll still puncture

avoid riding at the edge of the road, watch out for glass etc., you'll probably outperform people who use heavier tyres and don't take these steps
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MrJoe23
    MrJoe23 Posts: 21
    I'm currently riding on Michelin Pro4, but I swear by Panaracer tyres, Evo2, Evo3 and the new Race Type A Evo 2. They cut up pretty easily but do not puncture much at all, iver gotten through so many tyres all without problems
  • I followed cycling plus's review and went for these with light weight tubes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vredestein-fort ... ding-tyre/

Very impressed so far, I have done about 2k miles on them and havnt had a single puncher yet :)
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Chrisrus13 wrote:
    I followed cycling plus's review and went for these with light weight tubes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vredestein-fort ... ding-tyre/

Very impressed so far, I have done about 2k miles on them and havnt had a single puncher yet :)

I got these recently with 40% off from wiggle, they ride well even when pumped up to 140. No punctures yet but only done 300 miles. They get little love on this forum but I think they are a good tyre.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Dowtcha - Unless you are 100KG+ and riding very smooth roads 140psi is way too much (and if you are I'd advise a lower pressure on a wider tyre anyway). Run your weight and road conditions through this http://www.vittoria.com/tech/recom-tyre-pressure/ for a rough idea and bear in mind that the better Vittorias/Veloflex seem to need about 10psi more than other tyres because they're so much more supple.

I'll second the Pro4 and the GP4000S as good allrounders. Personally I wouldn't use race quality Veloflex / Vittoria day to day as you'll be spending a lot on tyres even if you don't puncture (they just don't have the tread thickness to last, the flipside however is that's exactly why they're so good).
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I destroyed my vredesteins in a pothole. Just because the max says 140 - you don't have to go that high. Oops.

Conti GP4000S for me now - I run less than 100 PSI and they're unbelievably good.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Find what you like out of any of ht efollowing:

veloflex corsa
    vittoria open corsa cx
    michelin pro 4
    Continental GP4000S
    Schwalbe Ultremo ZX

or buy tubs....
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    IME the Vitorria open corsa evo cx are very good and not as fragile as the general opinion seems to suggest.

Of course I will now instantly puncture but hey ho.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Vredestein Fortezza TriComps are very puncture resistant for a high performance tyre as mentioned but I find that traction is noticeably less sticky than tyres such as the Michelin Pro4's or Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's. Ride quality is a little less lively as well but probably not enough to slow you down too much (if at all) except in hard corners.