Dolan Tuono?

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
I am sniffing around getting myself a decent road bike and am quite tempted by a Dolan Tuono:
http://www.dolan-bikes.com/index.php/road/road-bikes/road-bike-carbon/dolan-tuono-carbon-road-bike.html

tuono-sl-01.png

You seem to get good value for money in the Canyon sort of range, spec it yourself like Rose and has recently come out well a recent mags group test (OK, not the be all and end all).

Does anyone have one of these? Would be interested to hear feedback on how it rides and what sort of customer service you got - esp after sales as Dolan seems to be a direct seller with no dealer network.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    I've not got one, but was in the store yesterday and am now considering one of these. Beautiful bike. Weighs next to nothing (frame and fork) plus as you say you can kit it out as you like.

The staff seem very helpful so nothing to fear on that front, the only downside to me is that you cannot test ride outdoors, perhaps they can set something up on the trainer indoors, but if I could have ridden one I prob would have ordered there and then.

Also very interested on other users views.......
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I am sniffing around getting myself a decent road bike and am quite tempted by a Dolan Tuono:
    http://www.dolan-bikes.com/index.php/road/road-bikes/road-bike-carbon/dolan-tuono-carbon-road-bike.html

tuono-sl-01.png

You seem to get good value for money in the Canyon sort of range, spec it yourself like Rose and has recently come out well a recent mags group test (OK, not the be all and end all).

Does anyone have one of these? Would be interested to hear feedback on how it rides and what sort of customer service you got - esp after sales as Dolan seems to be a direct seller with no dealer network.

Got a 4.5star review from Cycling Plus and best bike in test a couple of issues ago. Depends on how much you trust reviews but I doubt Dolan could afford to pay large amounts for a good review so it should be genuine. Search on Google and it should come up. Is it not on here already? Nce bike but a bit out of budget for me.
  • Stevo_666
    Got a 4.5star review from Cycling Plus and best bike in test a couple of issues ago. Depends on how much you trust reviews but I doubt Dolan could afford to pay large amounts for a good review so it should be genuine.
    That's the review I was referring to - didn't really consider Dolan until I read that issue of C+. But one review is not a huge amount to go on and I'm not trekking up to Lancashire if I can't get a proper test ride.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I can vouch for Dolan's service and the quality of the frames is very good. The only thing that puts me off the Tuono is the BB30, while I think all their other frames run a regular threaded BB. If I was in the market for a new frame now, I would probably go for an Ares with custom paint.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Imposter wrote:
    I can vouch for Dolan's service and the quality of the frames is very good. The only thing that puts me off the Tuono is the BB30, while I think all their other frames run a regular threaded BB. If I was in the market for a new frame now, I would probably go for an Ares with custom paint.

seen that mentioned a few times. what's the issue with press fit bottom brackets? just had a new one under warranty as it happens. to the op. sorry, see the reference to the test now.
  • Stevo_666
    Imposter wrote:
    Thanks for that.

In one way, Dolan is a bit like that other direct seller in Lancashire (Ribble) in that it doesn't do a very good job of explaining the differences between its different models. But a bit of research suggests to me that the Ares has more of a 'race bike' geometry whereas the Tuono is more sportive? Not 100% sure if this is right but I have had a few back problems in the past and prefer (need!) a more upright riding position to avoid a bit of pain on medium or long rides.
  • imposter2.0
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Thanks for that.

In one way, Dolan is a bit like that other direct seller in Lancashire (Ribble) in that it doesn't do a very good job of explaining the differences between its different models. But a bit of research suggests to me that the Ares has more of a 'race bike' geometry whereas the Tuono is more sportive? Not 100% sure if this is right but I have had a few back problems in the past and prefer (need!) a more upright riding position to avoid a bit of pain on medium or long rides.

It's almost certainly possible to achieve the exact same position on both frames. I've seen both the Tuono and Ares frames being raced locally, and a quick scan through the pics on the Dolan FB page shows all kinds of weird and wonderful setups for both bikes.
  • Stevo_666
    Imposter wrote:
    It's almost certainly possible to achieve the exact same position on both frames. I've seen both the Tuono and Ares frames being raced locally, and a quick scan through the pics on the Dolan FB page shows all kinds of weird and wonderful setups for both bikes.
    Ta - maybe time to do some research, I'm in no rush at all. Also that custom paint option sound interesting though could not seem to spot it on the Dolan website. Must be going blind.
  • Avit5
    Avit5 Posts: 114
    Imposter wrote:
    I can't see on the Dolan website that the Tuono has a BB30. Looking at the description of the Ares SL though it does state that it is BB30. This is taken from Dolan Ares description.
    BIKE FEATURES
    BB30 Bottom Bracket
    Di2 & EPS Compatible
    Internal Cable Routing
    Race Geometry
    Tapered Head Tube
    Tapered Seat Tube

But BB30 is not mentioned in the Tuono description (unless I just can't see it !!)
  • imposter2.0
    Avit5 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    I can't see on the Dolan website that the Tuono has a BB30. Looking at the description of the Ares SL though it does state that it is BB30. This is taken from Dolan Ares description.
    BIKE FEATURES
    BB30 Bottom Bracket
    Di2 & EPS Compatible
    Internal Cable Routing
    Race Geometry
    Tapered Head Tube
    Tapered Seat Tube

But BB30 is not mentioned in the Tuono description (unless I just can't see it !!)

Hmm, looks like the website has been updated recently. Ares now has BB30, as you say. No mention on the Tuono page, although the pics seem to show a press-fit BB...

Stevo - the custom paint info seems to have gone as well?
  • Stevo_666
    Imposter wrote:
    Hmm, looks like the website has been updated recently. Ares now has BB30, as you say. No mention on the Tuono page, although the pics seem to show a press-fit BB...

Stevo - the custom paint info seems to have gone as well?
    I'm not going blind after all :) I'm not so much of a tart that I need custom paint job; the black and white 'take it or leave it' paint job is not going to set my world on fire but its not a deal breaker by any means.

Also not too fussed about bottom bracket spec, it's never been an issue for me in the past. Do quite like the idea of an ultra-light Red-specced Tuono with some decent Mavic hoops. Just add a bit more carbon finishing kit and you'd be knocking on the door of 6kg 8) The Piggy Bank is looking vulnerable....
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I have the Hercules SL (which is somewhere in the middle between the racey Ares and comofort friendly Tuono supposedly) and that has BB30, I think all the carbon Dolan frames are BB30, but if you order with a Shimano groupset they bond in a threaded BB adaptor to use a standard external BB. That was certainly how mine arrived anyway.