S Works Roubaix SL4 2014

AndyK2479
AndyK2479 Posts: 75
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello all,
Thinking about upgrading my Roubaix SL3 Expert to a 2014 S-Works Roubaix, saved a long time and finally going to go for it.
Going to get my LBS to build one up but before I start specc'ing it out I just thought I would ask if anyone has ridden the SL4 and what their thoughts were on the comfort factor, most reviews seem to say its still plush at the back end but a lot stiffer up front? One review I read said that without the COBL-GBLR seatpost there was not a great deal of difference with the Tarmac!!

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Ta
Andy

Comments

• Test ride it buddy!
  • AndyK2479
    AndyK2479 Posts: 75
    I'm going to have a test ride on one before I start spending, just want to see if any owners rate it or are underwhelmed/disappointed (although I know that's not easy to admit)
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Tom boonens ride is an SL4 Roubaix with a tarmac geometry front end. They are apparently very stiff front ends.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I went from a SL pro to an SL3 s works and noticed a huge difference in terms of stiffness and comfort, due to a newer frame and better carbon.

I would imagine the same would be true going from a SL3 pro to sl4 s works, although the sl4 roubaixs have a very similar front end to a tarmac

Fulcrum Zeros recommended if you are speccing the build- fantastic wheels
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    I'd be interested in trying the Shimano/Sram hydraulic disc brake options if I was looking at the Roubaix for 2014.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have a 2013 SL3 Expert, would be very interested to hear how the SL4 compares.

Let me tell you why I'd not get the disc version. The Roubaix is my "nice" bike and seldom sees rain. Disc wheels limit your wheel choices. You're paying quite a premium for the disc bike and unless you do a lot of descending on really big hills or wet weather riding you'll not see major benefits (unless I'm wrong!). Heavier too.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    My 2014 s-works Roubaix frameset is at my bike shop now waiting to be built up. I didn't consider the disc version, mainly due to the cost of having to buy new wheels to accommodate them. If I was going for a full bike then I might have done so but I don't see a huge advantage over properly setup (and high quality) rim brakes for my riding. And my experience of MTB disc brakes is they are much more of a faff to setup than rim brakes.
  • I'd stick with your SL3!! I've ridden both and the SL3 was comfier than the SL4. The SL4 is a little stiffer, but it's a Roubaix so I'd prefer the comfort over extra stiffness personally.
  • I'd stick with your SL3!! I've ridden both and the SL3 was comfier than the SL4. The SL4 is a little stiffer, but it's a Roubaix so I'd prefer the comfort over extra stiffness personally.

Was it noticeably less comfortable? I'm still not totally committed to the S-Works, also got the BMC GF01, Bianchi Infinito CV, Giant Defy Advanced 0, Cannondale Synapse HiMod Evo and Trek Domane also to view and test, just like the thought of as built to my specs S-Works :D
  • AndyK2479 wrote:
    I'd stick with your SL3!! I've ridden both and the SL3 was comfier than the SL4. The SL4 is a little stiffer, but it's a Roubaix so I'd prefer the comfort over extra stiffness personally.

Was it noticeably less comfortable? I'm still not totally committed to the S-Works, also got the BMC GF01, Bianchi Infinito CV, Giant Defy Advanced 0, Cannondale Synapse HiMod Evo and Trek Domane also to view and test, just like the thought of as built to my specs S-Works :D

Yep noticeably smoother, slightly noticeably less rigid/quick but hardly anything and I usually find faster = smoother.

The SL3 Expert is such a great bike, why even replace it? A Domane may be slightly better, but not worth the money over the SL3.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    If you are going ahead with changing frame I'd suggest you compare Roubaix and Tarmac SL4s. You may just find that your riding style may have changed slightly over time as you have got stronger/ putting more effort in, in which case the Tarmac may actually feel like a better fit for you.

Peter
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    You've probably seen Red Kite Prayer's article on riding a Roubaix equipped with SRAM's disc brakes http://redkiteprayer.com/2013/04/riding-the-new-sram-red/.