Giant Defy Advanced 1 - Worth The Upgrade?

jimquinn
jimquinn Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi, I was about to purchase the 2013 Defy Advanced 2 today. In my LBS they had 20% off the full range. That brings the Advanced 1 down to the 2 book price. Do you think the move from 105 to Ultegra is worth the extra £500?

Also, they had a strange Giant electronic (looked like a airport scanner) bike fit machine in the shop, has anyone used this before to get sized?

Thanks

Comments

• Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    in a word. no. keep the 500 and use it to upgrade to ultegra 6800 when the 105 wears out. the cost difference between 105 and ultegra is not £500. better wheels might sway it but they are the same on the 2 and 1. one of my mates had the 2 and another the 1. both nice bikes. depends if you like white in the end! surprised they had any 2,s, i was under the impression they had sold out?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If in doubt, make the choice based on colour.
  • Alitogata
    Alitogata Posts: 148
    I agree with Camcycle. The cost difference between 105 and Ultergra is not 500. Better buy a pair of good wheels wih that money than upgrade to a new groupset, which after all, will not give you any better performance.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Absolutely. £500 for some slightly better brakes, gears chain set etc in black rather than white is a no-brainer! Saying that, colour is the reason I went for the defy 0 over the 1. How shallow am I? The right size would have been a bonus. I have about 1/2 as much seatpost exposed as you do from seeing the pics of yours in another thread.
  • Brilliant, thanks everyone.