Tyre advice

desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Have a Boardman FS Team which came with a couple of mountain kings 2.2.

Needed a new rear and went for a continental rubber queen 2,2, assuming it would be about the same size (2.2). however, it seems to be a fair bit bigger and is rubbing the frame when I go uphill in particular I think.

Clearance seems a bit better at the front, so could i pop the Queen on the front and the King to the back? Or would having a bigger tyre somehow unbalance the bike or just not matter?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bigger tyre upfront is usually better fro grip reasons - need more grip here as front end skids are harder to control.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I've got the same bike, some of the 2.2 tyres do come up pretty big and you will struggle to fit them on the rear due to clearance. The stock MK's are awful, I run my FS Team with a 2.2 Bontrager XR4 up front with a 2.1 Panaracer XC Fire Pro on the back. I couldn't get the XR4 to fit the back without rubbing, but to be honest the Fire Pro/XR4 combination works really well!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • desmorrow
    desmorrow Posts: 115
    cheers guys. great advice as always. I'll swap em over later!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    It's a daft piece of design how close the tyre runs to the chainstays on the Team FS. I've got Bontrager XR3 Team issues on mine - 2.2 rear (53mm across the carcass) and now 2.35 front (57mm across carcass).