The most ridiculous bicycle lane in london

alexl89
alexl89 Posts: 34
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
You have two options:

1. You get off your bike or literally stop to navigate round people waiting at the bus stop.

2. You don't use the bike lane and get a bus/taxi wanker honking and tailgating you as you ride down the bus lane.

Whoever was responsible for the creation of this bike lane must have been smoking crack.

cvf9.jpg

Comments

• BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    Yeah I know that one - Wandsworth roundabout. I think it's actually worse when you go left round the corner into the cycle lane, and the peds get all uppity about you riding on the pavement...hmm....

having said that, for more timid cyclists like my wife it's a great deal better than negotiating the roundabout ittself.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    but bus taxi lanes are bike permitted ? that's mental.... I'm glad I don't live in London...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    There are plenty of examples faaar worse than that. There's a website of them somewhere... There are some absolutely ridiculous examples out there. I think quite often local authorities produce cycle lanes to hit a mileage target set by central government, they have very little care as to whether they get used or are actually useful to cyclists. It's all about X local authority ticking the "Did you help promote cycling in your borough box" - "tick, we installed X miles of new cycle lane" (that no one can or will ever actually use)
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • alexl89
    alexl89 Posts: 34
    Looks like most of those bad cycle lanes were intentionally created by failures at life who hate cyclist. :(
  • I'll raise you :

Vv07iPO.png

Lea Bridge Road. That red bit with the bollards up the middle is a bike lane. This is just after the bus stop it goes through...
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    That Wandsworth Bridge cycle lane is a disaster, and dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians (especially people getting off buses). I've given up on it and now ride in the bus lane.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    This short cycle lane in totterdown, bristol is a complete waste of paint.

http://goo.gl/maps/oLfE0

It pulls you off the road to go round the back of a bus stop then makes you stop to wait for a clear gap to rejoin the road 100 meters up.

Usually when going past this the area is full of peds and people waiting for a bus, unless you are playing pedestrian pinball its completely useless.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Dav1 wrote:

It pulls you off the road to go round the back of a bus stop then makes you stop to wait for a clear gap to rejoin the road 100 meters up.

Usually when going past this the area is full of peds and people waiting for a bus, unless you are playing pedestrian pinball its completely useless.

This is near where I work.

That photo does show the entire length of the lane, including a car for scale...
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    Why did they even bother...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Not on that scale at all - but the main road into town where I live has had painted cycle path down the side ... except where the road is too narrow, then they miss out the path for that section. I don't know why they bother either.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Dav1 wrote:

the building on the left looks like its fallingoff a cliff!!

that does look pretty pointless, there are quite a few round here the just seem to make you go up and down curbs at every junction!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yep that one on Wandsworth bridge is ridiculous, as is the one on the other side. All it needs is one ped to step right into the cycle lane and a bike coming from behind and the cyslist would have no option but to go onto the road. Dangerous as it's not a quiet stretch of road.