Want to join our charity cycle/spectate Tour de France trip?

christiandransfield
christiandransfield Posts: 127
edited October 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hey guys,

I will start by saying that I'm not affiliated with a tour company; I am simply an avid cyclist advertising my upcoming trip. After cycling 5 mountain stages of the Tour de France for charity last year, I have the bug to go and cycle more. Now that I have a first-hand experience of how incredible the experience is, I want to take as many other cyclists with me. After a lack of interest for this year's trip (Advertised it too late), I have decided to set the plans in motion now, so as to allow anyone interested individuals to sort out work commitments etc.

I will have to wait until the rest of the TDF '14 route is released at the end of October of this year before being able to release a detailed plan for the trip, but already know that the stages will predominantly be mountainous and will allow rest days, to allow us to watch the pros cycle in stages next year as well as cycle them.

In order to give you a rough idea of what the trip may entail, I have attached images of the plans I drew up for this year's trip. As already stated, this is not a commercial advertisement. I simply want as many people to get the chance to share in this incredible experience as possible. All I'd ask is that we make it a charity trip, in order to raisemoney for some just causes, while we have a great time!

Underneath are small write-ups of each day of cycling, plus links to the videos of my charity ride last year, to give you an idea of what an amazing experience it will be! If you have any questions, all you have to do is reply to this post or PM me.

Itinerary:
65shtz.jpg

1st day of cycling:
e6600i.jpg

2nd day of cycling:
11h4apx.jpg

3rd day of cycling:
2qamn1k.jpg

4th day of cycling:
o9mt6a.jpg

5th day of cycling:
10i83ye.jpg

6th day of cycling:
mmvkwg.jpg

7th day of cycling:
66i7gz.jpg

8th day of cycling:
29cxbfl.jpg

9th day of cycling:
2ppdgdk.jpg

July 2012 charity ride links:

Stage 1:
https://vimeo.com/49067772

Stage 2:
https://vimeo.com/49077785

Stage 3:
https://vimeo.com/49109088

Stage 4:
https://vimeo.com/49147009

Stage 5:
https://vimeo.com/49165135

Condensed video of all 5 stages:
https://vimeo.com/59051973

Comments

• Interested but will be a few months before I can even try and book work holidays.

How are you traveling to France? What are the likely sleeping arrangements, cost etc?
  • Thanks for your interest mate. Would you be able to find out whether you're able to book the time off by the end of October?

I would aim to get the eurotunnel to Calais, then split the journey to the south of France over 2 days. If I weren't trying to keep the cost of the trip down, I'd opt to go on the Plymouth to Santander ferry and drive a shorter distance, but that would cost a lot more.

Sleeping arrangements will be hotels. To give you a rough idea of accomodation costs per person, during my ride last year, I stayed, with 1 friend (driver), for a total of 15 nights in France, which cost us £312.91 each. That divides down to just under £21 per night each. These ranged from basic F1 type hotels like these...

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/premiere-classe-grenoble-nord-moirans.en-us.html?sid=337a47426b84d25dc983d0b1b34b1320;dcid=2

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/premiere-classe-carcassonne.en-us.html?sid=337a47426b84d25dc983d0b1b34b1320;dcid=2

to beautiful hotels like these...

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/saint-laurans.en-us.html?sid=337a47426b84d25dc983d0b1b34b1320;dcid=2

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/le-mas-des-tilleuls.en-us.html?sid=337a47426b84d25dc983d0b1b34b1320;dcid=2

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/residence-les-balcons-de-val-cenis-village.en-us.html?sid=337a47426b84d25dc983d0b1b34b1320;dcid=2

Petrol costs were also £300 each for the whole trip, which included toll road fees, and the ferry (£50ish) from Dover to Calais. This will be less, as there will be more people going on the trip last time. Last year, it was only me riding and my mate driving me!

In terms of additional costs, food will be the only other big one. Breakfast will be included at some of the hotels I book, but not at others. I aim to hold a meeting with all/most of the people going, once I have a list of definites, where we will discuss whether we want to cook evening meals or eat out each night. I would have thought we will at least make our own lunches.

Does this give you a good enough idea of what costs the trip will entail?

andrewleck wrote:
    Interested but will be a few months before I can even try and book work holidays.

How are you traveling to France? What are the likely sleeping arrangements, cost etc?
  • I would probably be looking at Dec/Jan before I can finalise my holidays, (we run April to March.) Just to clarify is the plan for individuals to drive down or would you be hiring a mini-bus with driver?
  • Aah ok, no problem.

I'd aim to borrow/rent a minibus and have us all go down in 1 to 2 vehicles, so that would hopefully vastly cut our petrol costs per person. If some people are only able to stay for a week and others would prefer to stay for longer, I might look in to taking 2 minibuses, but it's all ideas at the moment, before we all have a chat about it all. Does that sound ok?
  • Aah ok, no problem.

I'd aim to borrow/rent a minibus and have us all go down in 1 to 2 vehicles, so that would hopefully vastly cut our petrol costs per person. If some people are only able to stay for a week and others would prefer to stay for longer, I might look in to taking 2 minibuses, but it's all ideas at the moment, before we all have a chat about it all. Does that sound ok?

Yup. Will keep bobbing back and try to book holidays required 8)
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Yep, up for this. Only query is on average pace - are we free to ride at our own speed or are you looking to stay as a group? I'm happy on hills but tend to grind up them rather than fly!

If Ventoux and Alpe D'Huez are included in the route then I'm pretty much sold.
  • rodgers73
    Would love some more info on this - really keen to have a go!
  • I would imagine once on a climb it will be everyman for themselves and then wait and meet at the top/bottom/tea shop. Can't imagine finding a disparate group to come together and chain gang up Ventoux :lol:

PS If I manage to book the holidays I have already laid claim to La lanterne rouge :wink:
  • rodgers73
    It's my 40th at Christmas - I reckon I could swing this trip as a present! :-)
  • Thanks for the interest guys! Sorry for the late reply, but was busy riding the Pru London-Surrey 100.

Is there anything in particular that you'd like to know, Rogers73? In terms of pace, I think what andrewleck said will probably end up happening... Group riding on the flats, then go for it on the climbs!

I will endeavour to include as many famous climbs as I can, and Ventoux and Duez are on the list of climbs that I definitely want to include, rogers73!

If anyone is worried about average speed, I will make sure that no-one is left behind. Depending on how many people end up going, there may end up being 2 groups forming after a while, which happened on a recent Roscoff to Santander trip consisting of 11 riders, but we still all waited at the top of the big climbs for everyone, and regrouped for munch/drink breaks along each day's ride etc.

Sound good to everyone?
  • rodgers73
    I was wondering how the plan will change for 2014 given that the first stages are over here. Are you thinking of setting off a bit later or just avoiding watching those stages in favour of driving? Guess its a case of waiting and seeing how the rest of the route pans out.

Very keen on this otherwise. I take it that you dont mind riders dropping out early rather than going the whole distance? Just thinking ahead in case I can't sell my wife on this deal ;-)
  • The plan shouldn't change too much, as we'll be cycling mountain stages, and they usually occur in the TDF around the same dates every year. I'm not planning on following/riding the whole tour... Just the mountain stages in the TDF, along with some past stages, so that we get to climb as many of the famous mountains as possible! In terms of watching the rest of the tour while we're in France, I'm sure there will be a TV somewhere or someone with an iphone/laptop with ITV4 highlights on that we can watch at the end of each day of our trip, if anyone wants to! Unfortunately, it is a case of waiting until the rest of the tour route is released at the end of October.

Just for a very rough idea of what the trip will be like, underneath is the blog I wrote during my 5 mountain stage charity ride:

http://ferocious5.jux.com

No, I don't mind that at all. I have even started to think that the trip may be better organised, so that there are 1-week and 2-week options for everyone to choose, in case some can't get the full 2 weeks off work etc.

Does that all sound ok?
  • Setting off after le tour leaves Gods own would be useful as I am hoping to get up Holme Moss for the day :)

Tour is usually on the telly in most bars for the duration.
  • Yeah, not a prob mate. I can state 100% that we'd be leaving after the stages in England :)
  • rodgers73
    Yeah, not a prob mate. I can state 100% that we'd be leaving after the stages in England :)

Happy with everything you've said so far - are you an established group adding a few new members or will this be a fresh bunch? Just wondering if we'll all be getting to know each other from scratch or will I be slotting into a bunch of mates? Just curious - happy either way.
  • I know most, but not all of the people who are pretty much definites for the trip. We're all friendly guys, and a good mix of ages, so we'll have a great laugh!
  • rodgers73
    sounds all good to me
  • Good to hear! Are you guys on Facebook at all? I'm thinking of creating a group on there and adding everyone who's interested, so that we can at least chat on there. I'm Christian Dransfield on there if you'd like to add me.
  • rodgers73
    Sorted - I'm Tom Rodgers. Should be a request with you now.
  • Skeets
    Skeets Posts: 81
    Hello, i have been reading about your tdf trip last year and myself and two friends are interested in coming next year . i would like to ride on until paris, but time constraints , the other two can only do a week. we are fit cyclists, ages between 35-45, with a backgound of Tri's, road, mountainbike racing. this has always been something i wanted to do and if possible would love to join you all in this spectacular . i'm not on Facebook but I'm sure the other two are . Is this still going ahead ? thanks . glen.
  • Hi Glen,

Thanks for your interest in the trip! Just so you know, the itinerary for my proposed 2014 trip won't be the same as the proposed 2013 trip images I posted on this forum, especially as I may have to organise a 2-week trip, with an option for people to go home after 1 week if they can't book that much time off work etc.

I'm Christian Dransfield on Facebook of you'd like to get your 2 friends to add/contact me on there. My email address is christiandransfield@hotmail.com and you're welcome to email me on there in more depth if it's easier than doing so on here. I can give you my contact number via email, too.

After the rest of the TDF '14 stages have been released this coming Wednesday morning (23rd Oct), I shall be able to get an itinerary ready, so will be able to give much more accurate information about everything then.

Christian.
  • Skeets
    Skeets Posts: 81
    Thanks Christian , will be in touch soon Facebook or email . ( after the tdf route no doubt ) . Glen .
  • All sorted cheers, Tom.

I've now had the chance to get together an itinerary and a breakdown of the trip, so shall be posting that in a new forum post.

Should be a great one!