Getting to the RideLondon start, by bike frm inner London

2»

Comments

• bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    I'm actually need thoughts on getting to a11. I'm right off the route on chelsea embankment -- which is totally off limits. I can't figure out how to get near the city as I would pass through Westminster (shut) or Buckingham palace (shut) and I can't go 5 miles out of my way as Fulham & Hyde park corner also shut.

Really wondering whether worth being up at 4 am & cycling in dark for this. I thought great, it's local ... Seriously considering rolling over entry until next year when logistics sorted. But it the web site indicates we have to pay the fee again.

Eating wise also an issue. Assume will take breakfast with me & eat during the hour wait.
  • I was thinking about getting a cab from central, along the A11 and then just getting dropped off at the junction with Wharton St. Would rather use the first five miles of the thing itself as my warmup, rather than adding an additional 5 miles on before I've even got there.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm actually need thoughts on getting to a11. I'm right off the route on chelsea embankment -- which is totally off limits. I can't figure out how to get near the city as I would pass through Westminster (shut) or Buckingham palace (shut) and I can't go 5 miles out of my way as Fulham & Hyde park corner also shut.

Really wondering whether worth being up at 4 am & cycling in dark for this. I thought great, it's local ... Seriously considering rolling over entry until next year when logistics sorted. But it the web site indicates we have to pay the fee again.

Eating wise also an issue. Assume will take breakfast with me & eat during the hour wait.
    Head south of the river, round the back of Waterloo, over London Bridge and on to the A11? You North London types forget that the south even exists ;)

Don't roll to next year, you know that you'll love it when you do it and look back on it as A Great Thing once you've completed it.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    ^^^^^That's the way I'll be doing it. @ 4-5 am crossing a few closed roads / pavements isn't going to be a problem.
    Don't forget bike lights at that time and put them in the bag you can get sent to the Mall when you get to QEP.
  • Thanks all. The issue was I couldn't even get across to the south as bridges shut. But looks like open for pedestrian traffic.
  • has anyone figured out a route from sw1-10 -- or those coming from putney ? i live in what appears to be a total exclusion zone, between the outbound and return routes so i have closed street signs ringing my neighborhood. given the closures, i can't figure out how to get into central london since embankment is shut down and going through pimlico takes me straight into another set of closed off roads.

I am in a similar position, I think the best option is to get pass this area onto the A3 upto London Bridge and before they shut the roads, which is early....
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Once you're across Putney High St you should be fine. Putney Bridge Road to Wandsworth then York Road, Battersea Road, Nine Elms, Vauxhal, Waterloo, Southwark, London Bridge, A11, Stratford.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Smirf
    Smirf Posts: 123
    I think the A11 might be a tad busy Sunday morning!

I'll be up from dulwich over London bridge then A11. Only real option I think
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
    Trek Triton Singlespeed - "commuter"
  • True....I think I am setting the alarm for 3am, time to get breakfast, get to London Bridge (from Richmond), park, cycle over to the start for 6:20,

I should ask for 30 mins to be deducted off my time for this :)