Edge 800 Navigation (Garmin Connect)

theotherjake
theotherjake Posts: 237
edited August 2013 in Road general
Thinking about upgrading to the Edge 800 for navigation (from 500), but could someone tell me if the routes made on the Garmin Connect website can be used by the Edge 800 as turn by turn navigation?

To be clear I mean after you hit 'send to device' will the 800 be able to use that route for navigation?

Cannot seem to find the answer anywhere online...

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Thinking about upgrading to the Edge 800 for navigation (from 500), but could someone tell me if the routes made on the Garmin Connect website can be used by the Edge 800 as turn by turn navigation?

To be clear I mean after you hit 'send to device' will the 800 be able to use that route for navigation?

Cannot seem to find the answer anywhere online...
    Yes.

There are loads of web sites and blogs on Garmin 800s, for example:
    http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-edge-8 ... -edge-800/
    http://www.forgot.co.uk/edge-800/
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/11/fo ... -edge-800/
  • foiegras
    foiegras Posts: 18
    After you have sent to your device , you have to make sure the the settings for turn by turn directions are switched on in your device.
    To do this , select the course you have saved , open it then go on to the little spanner symbol and verify that tbt directions in on
  • theotherjake
    theotherjake Posts: 237
    Great thanks. So all the routes I have saved in my GC account will work as TbT navigation without me having to add waypoints or turn markers etc?
  • Great thanks. So all the routes I have saved in my GC account will work as TbT navigation without me having to add waypoints or turn markers etc?
    That's the way it's supposed to be.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Garmin connect is a horrible way to do it though - it's probably the worst site I've seen for designing routes.
    RidewithGPS, bikeroutetoaster etc are much better for routeplanning.

(although mapmyride is pretty crap too)
  • djm501 wrote:
    Garmin connect is a horrible way to do it though - it's probably the worst site I've seen for designing routes.
    RidewithGPS, bikeroutetoaster etc are much better for routeplanning.

(although mapmyride is pretty crap too)

I don't get why Garmin Connect has so many haters, I use it all the time and much prefer it to the others I've tried, each to their own I suppose.
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I can't answer your question but I have just bought the 800 performance bundle. It seems to be pretty reasonable from Amazon at £264.99 at the moment. The day after I took delivery Wiggle reduced it to £269.99 if you'd prefer to use them (I would have but got fed up waiting for their price match reply which took 3 days).

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • I bought the unit only for £220 from wiggle in the end, they price matched handtec. If you use the live chat to chase up the price match it only takes an hour or so.
  • Hi guys. Would have to agree with djm501 planning and downloading routes through Garmin connect is not the best method in my view compared to Ridewithgps and Biketoaster which appear to work and be more user friendly. I can only use the turn by turn function when the file format is Gpx and not Tcx don't know the reason for this.
    Occasionally freezes when in dense forestry areas, so just a case of rebooting the device no big heartache.
    Other than that it's a great piece of kit and won't leave home without it. ENLOY.