2 bike gravity stand/rack - Gear up Oak Rak

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
You know the one, free standing, one bike sits above the other, in a normal horizontal position - a bit like this, but I think it is something else:

Topeak-Dual-Touch-Bike-Storage-Stand-Wall-Bike-Rack.jpg

Anyone know what I am talking about and what it is called?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • daniel_b
    Thanks Nick,

some furious searching last night dug up this one which is what I had in mind and have seen people mention on here before:

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1172/products/Gear-Up-Lean-Machine-gravity-rack.aspx?origin=pla?kwd=&gclid=CP3Mnq7p2rgCFYOWtAod8T8AFg#descAnchor
    qr40090.jpg?width=310&height=310

Anyone have personal experience of it?

I see they do a nice Oak one, but that's a little over £100.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Interesting, may solve a problem in our new flat. Wonder how stable it is, looks to me like it'd fall over sideways with only the slightest contact.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • daniel_b
    Most reviews seem to be fairly good regarding the stability, though one I saw said you had to do something to protect the wall it was leant against or it would mark it.

I'm very tempted to get the oak one, despite the cost, as it does look rather nice - and also secured by bracing against the ceiling, thinking it could work and be a piece of art in my diningroom.

I've stuck a Flubit request in for one, see what they come back with, best I can find is £122 unless anyone can find it cheaper?

SS20093_indoor_home_garage_bike_racks01.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    For those who are interested, I have only just noticed there are 2 different types, a floor to ceiling model, and a free stander:

FTC http://www.thegstand.com/inc/sdetail/20095___oak_ftc/89/381
    20095_new_colors_detail.jpg
    Freestanding: http://www.thegstand.com/inc/sdetail/20093___oak_freestand/89/382
    20093_new_colors_detail.jpg

Without realising I popped in a Flubit offer for the freestanding one, and they have come back with a pretty reasonable, in my mind, £103 (The cost of two Cyclocs). I've also now asked for an offer on one additional bike kit, rrp is around £20, but am hoping for single figures.

I am erring towards the freestanding one anyway, as I'm not going to have it flat against a wall (And therefore will not be losing out on space), and it will be canted at an angle in a fireplace alcove, and also I do not know where my joists are, and this way (With a decent footprint) I assume I will not have the concern of the tightness of the FTC one faltering with movement above perhaps, and it all coming crashing down.

Another reason for assuming the freestander is fine, is that they picture it with 2 bikes on one side, which is likely they way I will have it most of the time, and if I am worried at all, it would be relatively easy to tether it to the wall/picture rail for example as belt and braces - additionally if it has to be moved for whatever reason, it should be a very simple procedure, where as the other one will need re tensioning again.
    Anyone have am opinion on either design in terms of stability?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    That's very interesting as the wife is desparate for me to sort out something for my bikes. Did you use a UK site for the Flubit and if so, which one?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Surely there's a missed opportunity to use a pole-dancing pole and some (easily removed) cantilevered bike brackets?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • daniel_b
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    That's very interesting as the wife is desparate for me to sort out something for my bikes. Did you use a UK site for the Flubit and if so, which one?

Hi WR, I have placed the order this morning, I went through Koo bikes (I've never heard of them either), but bare in mind they only have the free standing one, if you want a choice, I think Tredz seemed to be the next best price.
    Uk Cyclestore were also around the £120 mark.

With my Flubit offer, I put in the Koobikes link, but beforehand I had signed up to the Koobikes newsletter which gave me a £5 discount code, I entered this into the demand on the 'other' section, and put in words to the effect that Discount code XXXX bought the price down to £110.12 I think it was - and to give them their due they made the offer based on this price, and came in at £103, which I think is pretty 'reasonable' bearing in mind a 'decent' stand is around £50 or so.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18