New Wheels

dazzle740
dazzle740 Posts: 22
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello All
I am hopefully in the next week or two going to be in a position to be able to purchase a new set of wheels, now I really like the Campagnolo Shamal Ultra's with the ultra dark decals (in clincher form) also the very similiar (Iknow they are made by same people ultimately) Fulcrum Racing Zero's again with the dark decals.
Now I also know that the above wheels won't be to everyones taste and that is not on my agenda but what I would like to know is anybody on here used or are currently using any of the above 2 mentioned wheels and what are your opinions of these wheels?

Comments

• I've been running the Shamal Ultras (2 way fit version) on my Bianchi for over three years now. Great wheels, as true as when I bought them, stiff, light, roll smoothly and beautifully balanced. I rate them higher than the Dura Ace c24s I have on my other bike. I have a mate who's been running racing 1s for a little longer and he loves them.

Happy shopping! Let us know how you get on.
  • These!! Kicks the bum of the Fulcrums in my opinion.
    http://www.lead-out.co.uk/stilletto
  • The spada stilletto do look nice but I would be concerned about the light weight of them, as to wether they would be strong enough.
    Do you have a set of these? what are they like how they perform? and can i be cheeky and ask how heavy you are if you use these?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Judging by the lack of posts and the frequency with which bianchiboy spouts on about the Stillettos, I'd say there's an agenda there.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    To the OP... I have ridden loads of miles on Shamal Ultras, and like someone else said (favouring them over DA's) coming from DuraAce C24's they are a far smoother feeling wheel and dead stiff. I've also piled a load of miles on Racing Zero, so can compare them to the Shamal Ultra's and I don't think there's anything to pick between them, I couldn't tell any real difference in the rear wheel G3 spoking vs more regular spoking.

Most pricing seems to be cheaper for the Shamals, and they're available for Shitmano/Sram too as you probably already know.

The only thing I would say is the bearings aren't cheap if you do need to replace them ever... if you are really piling the miles on them the only thing I would consider as an alternative is getting some good handbuilts then you really can replace anything that gets worn out/broken quicker, easier and at lower cost.
  • Thank-you theobrixton and mfin yours are the type of responces I am after.
    I am currently approx 82kgs at mo (hopefully will go down bit of a belly at mo lol) do either of you think this will cause concern for either wheels or are they both strong enough, been doing research but couldn't really find any info in regards to weight limits.
  • The spada stilletto do look nice but I would be concerned about the light weight of them, as to wether they would be strong enough.
    Do you have a set of these? what are they like how they perform? and can i be cheeky and ask how heavy you are if you use these?

I am (only) 67kg but my friend who is 80kg+ has a pair with no problems at all. I was thinking that they may be a little flimsy, but are far from it. The hub itself is seriously light and stiff, this is where the low weight comes from. The rim itself and spokes are very sturdy.

As for having an agenda, I can only express my opinion in relation to the question on the post!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    dazzle740 wrote:
    Thank-you theobrixton and mfin yours are the type of responces I am after.
    I am currently approx 82kgs at mo (hopefully will go down bit of a belly at mo lol) do either of you think this will cause concern for either wheels or are they both strong enough, been doing research but couldn't really find any info in regards to weight limits.

I'm 6ft and 77kg and was riding them at 80 kgs on less than brilliant roads, so I can't see a problem myself.
  • wills1880
    wills1880 Posts: 112
    Hi I have the Fulcrum 1's and cannot rate them highly enough...I changed my stock Eastons and noticed an immediate change in ride quality but most notably the weight they shaved off.....over 650 grams off overall weight!
    Best - Cube Litening Super HPC
    Winter - Felt F85,
    Nippers - Cube Princess 160
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/542687