How to get the mrs into cycling?

dannyharris
dannyharris Posts: 217
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
So we watched some of this years TDF. Didn't seem to bothered.
We went to the Sheffield Grand Prix. She looked bored but got into it at the end. Even jumped up and down and screamed when the downing brothers got on the podium.
She even suggested getting a turbo trainer so she could have a go.
Borrowed a trainer it then went down hill.
She lasted a minute. Could t even get her set up on my bike before she gave up and said its not ment to be.

What can I try next?

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    First of all WHY? Most of us cycle to have time away from the other half, but each to their own. You could :

Tell her that she gets to buy a whole new wardrobe of cycling specific clothes.
    Tell her you'll buy her a (insert favourite colour here) bike.
    Tell her it will help her loose weight.
    Tell her it will tone up her legs.
  • dannyharris
    I have done all this.
    You could say opposites attract. Now we have nothing we both enjoy apart from F1

I love to go riding with her.

It was all about comfort why she gave up.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Tell he she's looking a bit podgy and most of the girls you see out bikes look fit :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Tandem?
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Gizmodo wrote:
    First of all WHY?

Haha I can understand this
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    Has she been out on the road with you? That's far more enjoyable than sitting on a turbo trainer where it's primarily a workout.
  • dannyharris
    She has no balance. So I'm yet to see her on a bike. Apart from the 30 seconds today on the trainer.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    jp1970 wrote:

The missus and I were discussing if the seat cover was a good idea; we decided that it probably wasn't...
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... pants.html

Cleat's advice seems best so far. :D
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    The tandem is actually a pretty good idea if you are keen on cycling and she is just beginning - you can do the balancing for her, she doesn't need to worry about gears and brakes and it will avoid her getting fed up with you cycling ahead every time you reach a hill. There are lots of places that will hire out tandems.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I wouldn't bother mate, sounds like if she does get into it, it will only be for a while before getting bored, leaving you with second hand bike and kit to get rid of. I personally wouldn't bother.

You can lead a horse to water etc etc.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Try a bicycle tour of belgium chocolate shops.
  • I too am trying to get the missus into cycling! Does not matter if she gets bored on the first or second outing, its the fact that when i disappear for 8 hours on a sportive in the middle of nowhere, i can at least say that if you had kept it up you could of come as well! If she does enjoy it and keeps it up, all the better as she will get fitter (both versions) and get to spend more time with her husband. Oh the joy :oops:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    She has no balance. So I'm yet to see her on a bike. Apart from the 30 seconds today on the trainer.
    Hmm - if she has no balance at all then unless she's willing to spend time and effort learning how to stay upright on a bike then it's a no-go ... unless she wants to ride a trike?

Getting into cycling really needs a desire to ride - that desire can be anything from just getting out in fresh air to getting fitter/loosing weight - nothing wrong with any desire to ride (unless you get the vibrating saddle ...?!) but it has to come from her.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Buy her a dog and encourage to take up long walks...... she gets the benefit of fresh air, exercise and companionship with the risk of falling off a bike and you get to cycle further whilst she is walking the dog.
  • dannyharris
    Some good tips.
    And good news.
    She done 5 mile on a turbo trainer tonight.
    It's the leaning forward and feeling uncomfortable she didn't like.
    She sat up right and seemed to enjoy it.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    A road bike is possibly not for her then, hybrid may be more her style.

She still has to want to do it for herself though, otherwise she won't stick with it.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Hmm - if she has no balance at all then unless she's willing to spend time and effort learning how to stay upright on a bike then it's a no-go ... unless she wants to ride a trike?

Getting into cycling really needs a desire to ride - that desire can be anything from just getting out in fresh air to getting fitter/loosing weight - nothing wrong with any desire to ride (unless you get the vibrating saddle ...?!) but it has to come from her.

can she not actually ride a bike, i mean any sort of 2 wheeled bike?

if not you may be struggling getting her to learn on a road bike, despite it being easy, to a newbie i can imagine it would be intimidating, what with the narrow wheels etc.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Have you tried to feign an interest in knitting or kittens yet?
  • dannyharris
    Never seen her ride. She says she can't ride.
    Got her a gel pad for the seat.
    She completed another 5 mile and says she enjoys it.

The plan is to get a mountain bike for the both of us. Slow leisurely rides I think she will cope with.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Never seen her ride. She says she can't ride.
    Got her a gel pad for the seat.
    She completed another 5 mile and says she enjoys it.

The plan is to get a mountain bike for the both of us. Slow leisurely rides I think she will cope with.
    I would have thought Hybrids would be better. Mountain bikes are for rough off roads, a hybrid is lighter and will have tyres that will roll easier on tarmac whilst still being able to cope with dirt tracks, tow paths and cycle paths.
  • Have recently been through the same thing with my Mrs, she's had a mountain bike for the last few years, and didnt really like it, so never used it (even though she had all good intentions to). She then went out and bought herself a step through bike, weighed a ton and didnt like that one.

A few weeks ago i bought a hybrid for myself, she took a shine to it and we then picked one up for her. whilst not cycling hundreds of miles on it, she is enjoying it. I think the most important thing was letting her choose the one she wanted

Definitely think hybrid is worth considering.
    Road - Raleigh Airlite 400 : Hybrid - Sirrus Comp 2013 : MTB - Orange Clockwork (2013)
    And still not quick enough!
  • Just picked up a Giant Escape 3 for my wife tonight and she is happily zipping up and down the road already, and getting ready for the Ride London Freecycle on Saturday.

She's become a real cycle nerd and followed the TdF religiously this season after getting into it a couple of years ago and now wants to go to France to see a stage or 2 next year as well.
  • Well she has done 3 sessions on my trainer and says she is enjoying it. But has said she would like a hybrid.
    Looks like after our wedding we will go shopping to get her a bike.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Gizmodo wrote:
    First of all WHY? Most of us cycle to have time away from the other half, but each to their own. You could :
    Tell her it will help her loose weight.
    Tell her it will tone up her legs.

Personally I would avoid making such personal observations on the basis it might take me some considerable time to recover so that I could get back on my bike.

Playing with fire me thinks .... :D

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Well she has done 3 sessions on my trainer and says she is enjoying it. But has said she would like a hybrid.
    Looks like after our wedding we will go shopping to get her a bike.
    you're still getting married to her? good grief lol ....