FAO Smidsy (and other Basso owners)

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
edited August 2013 in Road buying advice
Despite not being able to find a single review or any detailed information on full bike weight I'm about to bite the bullet and buy a Basso Laguna Veloce 2013 from wiggle.

I'm just under 5'7" With 30.5cm inside leg, the wiggle size guide suggests a 51cm frame does this sound about right?

Also I'm hoping to use it for a fair chunk of my 10 mile round trip daily commute for much of the year, only bringing out the carrera when the weather is really dismal, will the bike be able to stand up to this? Am I asking too much of a carbon frame? I hate the carrera and really want to use it as little as possible!

Also, please confirm its a better buy than the verenti insight ultegra? I'm really nervous it might not live up to my expectations ( of a light, comfortable spotty bike able to take on the hills!)

HELP!!!!!

Comments

• limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    I'm just under 5'7" With 30.5cm inside leg, the wiggle size guide suggests a 51cm frame does this sound about right?

HELP!!!!![/quote]

wow and i thought i had short legs , have you tried a raleigh Boxer for size :D
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'm similar height and in south Leicestershire if you want to try my Astra for size? It's a 47 sloping for guidance remembering that Basso's are measured from the seat tube length and not the top tube. That's the equivalent to a 51 in a Cervello measured from the top tube length.

I've used my Astra in all weathers, usually just getting caught in a downpour. I've used it to commute even though it's pure race focused without problem just because I prefer riding it to my winter bike. (My winter bike was miss sold to me by a certain well known LBS as it is too big and cannot be fitted properly.) As for weight; with my carbon tubs on and everything but full water bottles, the Basso comes in at 6.7kg. That's light.

If I go out on a ride, the chances of me seeing another Basso are pretty remote. I like that, plus they are well designed, constructed and built, and all in house.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • LeicesterLad
    philthy3 wrote:
    I'm similar height and in south Leicestershire if you want to try my Astra for size? It's a 47 sloping for guidance remembering that Basso's are measured from the seat tube length and not the top tube. That's the equivalent to a 51 in a Cervello measured from the top tube length.

I've used my Astra in all weathers, usually just getting caught in a downpour. I've used it to commute even though it's pure race focused without problem just because I prefer riding it to my winter bike. (My winter bike was miss sold to me by a certain well known LBS as it is too big and cannot be fitted properly.) As for weight; with my carbon tubs on and everything but full water bottles, the Basso comes in at 6.7kg. That's light.

If I go out on a ride, the chances of me seeing another Basso are pretty remote. I like that, plus they are well designed, constructed and built, and all in house.

Thanks for the offer philthy, might take you up on it if I decide to press the buy button!

So maybe the 51 is a little large for me then? I know the geom is similar on the Laguna and Astra - though obviously the astra weight a far bit less.

Basso quote 8.2kg on their website for the Laguna but the picture shown has carbon tubs - where as my purchase would be with the Microtech Kriums (which are just under 2kg a set) so I imagine that will bump the weight up a fair bit! How is it on power transfer? Does it feel quick? I know the Caads are supposed to be quite spritely because of their BB30 design which Ive also considered (Caad10) and the Verenti Insight gets a good review but nothing much about speed and handling in the reviews...

I think I'm starting to just over compare and maybe it comes down to just chosing the one I think looks nicest at this price point, although the Basso is supposed to be £2000 which is pretty elitest in my eyes and it's down to £1200 so a pretty large saving...
  • Be careful on the sizing of the Basso, as I think they have a 75 degree seattube
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • StillGoing

Thanks for the offer philthy, might take you up on it if I decide to press the buy button!

So maybe the 51 is a little large for me then? I know the geom is similar on the Laguna and Astra - though obviously the astra weight a far bit less.

Basso quote 8.2kg on their website for the Laguna but the picture shown has carbon tubs - where as my purchase would be with the Microtech Kriums (which are just under 2kg a set) so I imagine that will bump the weight up a fair bit! How is it on power transfer? Does it feel quick? I know the Caads are supposed to be quite spritely because of their BB30 design which Ive also considered (Caad10) and the Verenti Insight gets a good review but nothing much about speed and handling in the reviews...

I think I'm starting to just over compare and maybe it comes down to just chosing the one I think looks nicest at this price point, although the Basso is supposed to be £2000 which is pretty elitest in my eyes and it's down to £1200 so a pretty large saving...

My Astra with heavy 50mm Mavic Cosmic Carbones on came in at 7.8kgs so those wheels were effectively over 1kg heavier than the 38mm carbon tubs I now use all in. Not sure what BB the Laguna has but my Astra uses a SRAM GXP BB and is very responsive, certainly better than my feeble limits. The steering is great giving plenty of feedback from the front and allowing you to get good corner speed with confidence. I have the bars low on the steerer and virtually on top of the head tube putting me right over the wheel when on the drops.

The Laguna price is a steal and I keep emphasising that for me, you can't put a price on exclusivity.
  • hi ive got the laguna veloce. not sure what BB it is. spec suggest microtech press fit. i got the 48 cos im a short arse. nice bike just got a few issues with a click when out of the saddle im trying to sort out. i paid 1100 which i think was a good price.

long term it'll be wheel replacements and probably most of the finishing kit (maybe including chain set)

*edit* i have a similar inside leg but i'm shorter so prefer a shorter top tube
  • LeicesterLad
    hi ive got the laguna veloce. not sure what BB it is. spec suggest microtech press fit. i got the 48 cos im a short ars*. nice bike just got a few issues with a click when out of the saddle im trying to sort out. i paid 1100 which i think was a good price.

long term it'll be wheel replacements and probably most of the finishing kit (maybe including chain set)

*edit* i have a similar inside leg but i'm shorter so prefer a shorter top tube

That's not exactly a roaring review from a new bike owner :(

Hmm, I just don't know...
  • 63f1e200-3604-42a8-9797-e78e5e85efd4.jpg

e79e4380-2c9a-4871-a205-9877155455a5.jpg

some pics to help
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I haven't got or ridden the Basso Laguno but the spec for the 2013 is a little uninspiring to say the least. A bike priced at £2k and yet ALL the finishing kit seems to be very 'functional', e.g., alu seat post, own brand wheels and chainset, own brand calipers, miche cassette, etc. It looks more like a great frame but that price point targeting means the frame comes with some stuff added to make it rideable until the owner upgrades as he goes along.

For an 'italian' bike it is a real shame that Basso did not supply the frame with full Veloce groupset, fulcrum F3 wheels and a nice Selle Italia saddle, etc.
  • LeicesterLad
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I haven't got or ridden the Basso Laguno but the spec for the 2013 is a little uninspiring to say the least. A bike priced at £2k and yet ALL the finishing kit seems to be very 'functional', e.g., alu seat post, own brand wheels and chainset, own brand calipers, miche cassette, etc. It looks more like a great frame but that price point targeting means the frame comes with some stuff added to make it rideable until the owner upgrades as he goes along.

For an 'italian' bike it is a real shame that Basso did not supply the frame with full Veloce groupset, fulcrum F3 wheels and a nice Selle Italia saddle, etc.

This is starting to sound not good.
  • StillGoing
    There's nothing wrong with the finishing kit. Yes it isn't top of the range branding, but is perfectly adequate for the job and not going to fail. As I understand it the Microtech kit is just rebranded Miche kit. The same logic says Italian bikes should only have Campag group sets fitted. Well bollox to that. You fit what you're comfortable and happy with.

My frame is Italian carbon, my group set SRAM so American, my tubs are Chinese carbon, my bars Italian or Taiwanese depending where they were made by FSA and my seat post Japanese. The bike is right for me and I couldn't give a toss what any of the purists out there think.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    My Viner came with Miche wheels, chain, cassette, chainset. Awful, the lot of it. Actually, the wheels looked OK but I sold them before I rode them. The cassette popped teeth from day 1. The chain never shifted smoothly. Massive improvement when I switched to Campag stuff. The chainset looked nice and the rings were OK, but I literally ripped the driveside cranks from the rings when I put the power down riding up Anerley Hill to Crystal Palace. I would avoid their stuff like the plague if you have any power at all - its made of cheese.
  • Have you considered 2nd hand or buying a frame and building up yourself?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • LeicesterLad
    Have you considered 2nd hand or buying a frame and building up yourself?

Have considered second hand but with a succession of second hand bikes in the past I really want something shiny and knew. I'm pretty useless with bike DIY to be honest - it's something I need to learn and work on though.

Problem is there is so much choice in the £1000-£1300 bracket and with it so much different opinion, different styles, different components, different weights, stiffness and even materials. I'm sure in reality most of them are much of a muchness. The result is pretty much over analysing every single aspect of each bike and then before you knew you are confused completely.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    BigMat wrote:
    My Viner came with Miche wheels, chain, cassette, chainset. Awful, the lot of it. Actually, the wheels looked OK but I sold them before I rode them. The cassette popped teeth from day 1. The chain never shifted smoothly. Massive improvement when I switched to Campag stuff. The chainset looked nice and the rings were OK, but I literally ripped the driveside cranks from the rings when I put the power down riding up Anerley Hill to Crystal Palace. I would avoid their stuff like the plague if you have any power at all - its made of cheese.

Shame that because Miche wheels are really good. I've used a pair through winter and they've been great – still run true and the hubs are still like silk. Will probably get another few winters out of them
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Sorry I have not responded sooner. I moved house last week and have not had internet until yesterday.

At your height a 51 or 53 is probably the two for consideration. They are really nice frames and you will be very happy if you do go down that route.

If you wish to meet up and look over my Astra I will happily come over your way.
    Yellow is the new Black.