new wheels help

andy 3654
andy 3654 Posts: 183
edited August 2013 in Road general
Just bought some new wheels now i know i need some rim tape and it is sram compatible hub what else will i need kit and fitting wise to do the job. This is my first time doing this so any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    tyres would be good - and tubes...
  • Tyre levers, or spoons.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Did the rims not come with rim tape already fitted? What make and model are the wheels? clinchers or tubs?

Do you have a cassette tool to put cassette on rear wheel, and a chain whip if removing from another wheel? Do you have the correct spacer needed depending on the 9-10-11 compatibility issues?
  • andy 3654
    well yes tyres and tubes but i was more on about the hardware side of things.
  • andy 3654
    this is what i bought but just the wheels

http://shop.kinetic-two.co.uk/overstock ... s-97-p.asp
  • smoggysteve
    If you do not have rim tape already fitted then yes tape is required, and any tools required I have already mentioned above. Make sure you have the correct spacer though. Looking at the wheels its probably not required on a Sram cassette but having never used them I would wait to see if a 1mm spacer is like on a shimano cassette. Someone here will surely know.
  • imposter2.0
    andy 3654 wrote:
    this is what i bought but just the wheels

http://shop.kinetic-two.co.uk/overstock ... s-97-p.asp

urgh - why?
  • andy 3654
    why what be more specific please?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Lovely looking wheel and a fair price, but I cannot see what these would be an upgrade too Given the weight and low spec. You can get all the tools for about 25 quid in one of the bike kits available in halfords, argos, lidl etc.
  • imposter2.0
    andy 3654 wrote:
    why what be more specific please?

'why' as in 'what on earth made you choose them?' - there are lighter wheels out there which cost less and would be more repairable (ie without the daft lacing pattern).
  • andy 3654
    ok didn't realize my taste was being questioned but i like the look of them and thought they be nice upgrade.
  • imposter2.0
    andy 3654 wrote:
    ok didn't realize my taste was being questioned but i like the look of them and thought they be nice upgrade.

Your 'taste' wasn't being questioned (although it ought to have been). I was questioning your choice. But never mind.
  • diy
    They are quite heavy and if you are not doing high cruising speed you probably wont benefit From the depth. You can get some good hand mades for that budget. E.g.

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/shop/kinl ... loy-wheel/

Nearly 25% lighter Though I'd go with one of the expert Builders who post here.
  • smoggysteve
    Last 3 posters - he bought new wheels. He asked about tools for fitting them, he did not request a review on how good they are or not. So what if they are not an "upgrade" he just wants advice in fiting them to his bike. If you can't help in that way then don't leave pointless comments.
  • diy
    edited July 2013
    Buyer still has the option to cancel the order which he cannot do once he has fitted them and tried them out on a test ride. IMO its not the same as questioning someone's choice once they own them. Sorry but these are exactly the sort of wheels I would buy before taking other more expert advice.
  • smoggysteve
    And you consider yourself an expert?
  • imposter2.0
    Last 3 posters - he bought new wheels. He asked about tools for fitting them, he did not request a review on how good they are or not. So what if they are not an "upgrade" he just wants advice in fiting them to his bike. If you can't help in that way then don't leave pointless comments.

Newsflash - "thread develops away from original topic shock."
  • smoggysteve
    fair one. should have seen that coming. Anyway, regardless what wheels you buy OP, same tools required for clinchers. enjoy your new wheels whatever you end up getting.
  • diy
    Ideally you want a torque wrench too. Its very easy to over tighten the cassette. See back on topic ;)
  • dazzle740
    dazzle740 Posts: 22
    Right tool wise you will need a chain whip and a cassette lock ring wrench to remove the rear cassette from your old wheels and re-fit to your new wheels. The tyres and tubes (if clinchers) and the rim tape for that matter can all be swopped over from your old wheels also, and then finally a good pump (if budjet allows a floor standing one) to re-inflate the tyres.
    And you should be good to get out and ride and enjoy YOUR new wheels.
  • andy 3654
    well they will be replacing my Giant P-R2 wheels as I cant find weights for those i dont know if they are lighter or not but to be honest i dont see a huge amount of difference in weight of wheels at this price point.
  • diy
  • andy 3654
    so slightly lighter overall
  • diy
    Did you see this re the tape on your k1s WE RECOMMEND USE WITH HIGH PRESSURE 13-16mm VINYL RIM TAPES ONLY
  • andy 3654
    yeah i did see that and exploring my options