Bulk buy tubes?

Mr.Duck
Mr.Duck Posts: 174
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
Which tubes do you go for and do you buy them in bulk?

Yaw Butyl Inner Tube £1.80 (£36.00 for 20)
Continental Race 28 £2.80 (£27.95 for 10)

Would you go for either of these or recommend something else? The main priority is reliability, followed by price. Non-removeable valve cores sound better to me too if there is a choice. I can't tell if the tubes from Ribble will be any good, and therefore be the better deal...

I'm also looking for a 32-35mm tube in a smaller quantity if anyone has any recommendations...

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I bulk bought some tubes from crc over a year ago. Then I got some better tyres and haven't used up the tubes!
    I assume they won't degrade
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I generally get a load if they come up on sale anywhere or failing that they are 2 for £4 in decathlon so pick up a couple when i'm passing.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Slowbike wrote:
    I bulk bought some tubes from crc over a year ago. Then I got some better tyres and haven't used up the tubes!

Ageing is mainly temperature related so keep them cool and they will last a long time.

Keeping them in the dark (away from UV light) is also a good idea.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:

Ageing is mainly temperature related so keep them cool and they will last a long time.

Keeping them in the dark (away from UV light) is also a good idea.

Back of the garage should be ok then ! :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've had to replace one tube in 3700miles, not sure why I'd bother bulk buying?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mr.Duck
    Slowbike wrote:
    I think they will crack up eventually from being heat cycled too much (heated up in the summer, getting cold in the winter). Hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold, crack. Maybe you should keep them in the fridge ;)
    The Rookie wrote:
    I've had to replace one tube in 3700miles, not sure why I'd bother bulk buying?
    I don't fancy paying £4.99 for 1 tube. I don't do puncture repairs either. A few spares in case I need one.

So what tubes do people buy? Would it be better to pay extra for the Continental tubes?
  • The Rookie
    Argh....why not just do a puncture repair, I'd much rather run a decent quality and lighter £4.99 tube and repair it than something cheaper and heavier and not.....besides it kind of offsets the environmental benefit of cycling to work if you just throw tubes away for a pin prick hole!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mr.Duck
    Last time I tried to repair them, it didn't go so well. Maybe one day I'll be able to do it (so I won't throw tubes away just in case).

So you advocate using more expensive, branded tubes? What are your favourite tubes? What tubes do you use?
    That looks good, but the 2 sizes I am interested are out of stock :(. Ribble do them though at £3.40 for 1 tube, which is reasonable.

What about these LifeLine tubes? £10.99 for 6 is only £1.83 each. Would anyone go for these or avoid because they look cheap?
  • The Rookie
    From preferance I use Schwalbe tube, although my MTB is currently running a Bontrager tube which looks just as good.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    Last time I tried to repair them, it didn't go so well. Maybe one day I'll be able to do it (so I won't throw tubes away just in case).

So you advocate using more expensive, branded tubes? What are your favourite tubes? What tubes do you use?
    That looks good, but the 2 sizes I am interested are out of stock :(. Ribble do them though at £3.40 for 1 tube, which is reasonable.

What about these LifeLine tubes? £10.99 for 6 is only £1.83 each. Would anyone go for these or avoid because they look cheap?

i have the lifeline tubes and they seem fine (he says touching wood as not to have any incidents on the way home!) decent valves on them from what I can see!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes