If you were to buy a new commuter/winter trainer...

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
...what would you go for?

My bike fit this week confirmed what I've suspected for a while: that my Equilibrium is a touch too big for me. I'll just use a shorter stem for now and will maybe switch seatposts, but it made me think about what I'd go for if I was to replace it. The Equilibrium's great in many ways, and had they not put the price up this year I'd have been tempted to just buy the next frame size down, but it is a heavy old thing.

What would you go for?

Hmm, I wonder if the CR1 Pros are still on sale...

Comments

• daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    .. something with discs and clearance for ice tyres.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears (but it's got to be fast and pretty light too) cos I'm wondering what to get next too.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Go custom made. Since you've had your fitting you should be able to take the measurements to a frame builder and get something made to the perfect size to fit you. On off the peg bikes I end up having a short stem, a seat post with loads of set back and the saddle right back in the rails to get my position correct. On my custom build I've got a sensible stem, no set back and the saddle in the middle of the rails.

You can then spec what ever you want for the rest of it, so in my case it was clearance for mudguards and mounts for disk brakes yet still be a road geometry, rather than cross or touring.

Yes it costs more but only an extra £100-£200 over a stock frame, money that you'd otherwise spend on different stems and seat posts anyway, and you end up with a tailor made bike.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I am happy with my Fratello but should it need replaced.....

I would consider a winter bike as disposable and not spend too much.
    My only considerations would be clearance for 25mm tyres with full guards and space for lights.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jonny_trousers
    It was a stupid question really, as we all, obviously, have different needs.

For me my priorities are comfortable, fast and light. The conditions I ride in year round don't really require discs or tyres above 25mm. I don't need a rack and I'm not even sure I need provision for permanent mudguards. Custom would be lovely, but I'm really not sure I could justify the cost - sadly this bike has to be chained to a fence while I'm at work. I was turned off the idea of aluminium a while ago, given how little I enjoyed my old Pearson Touche, and because of the comfort issues associated with it, but perhaps there's more to it than that. Kinesis? Anyway...
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ridley aeron frame.
    kinesis frame
    ribble winter trainer

or get a second hand alu frame and get some raceblade longs
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The ideal commuter/winter trainer for one will be different to another!

For a commuter discs/rack/guard mounts are for me crucial.

Apart from the fact I'd like it a bit lighter and preferably on 700c wheels (it's on 26") my commuter is ideal for me, low flat bars, 1x9 gearing with the cassette range optimised for my commute and other local roads (struggles on the steepest ones with 46/26 but I can get by), wide enough tyres to be comfy on the (poorly surfaced) local roads as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    It was a stupid question really, as we all, obviously, have different needs.

For me my priorities are comfortable, fast and light. The conditions I ride in year round don't really require discs or tyres above 25mm. I don't need a rack and I'm not even sure I need provision for permanent mudguards. Custom would be lovely, but I'm really not sure I could justify the cost - sadly this bike has to be chained to a fence while I'm at work. I was turned off the idea of aluminium a while ago, given how little I enjoyed my old Pearson Touche, and because of the comfort issues associated with it, but perhaps there's more to it than that. Kinesis? Anyway...

Custom steel frame is the answer. Won't look too shiny for bike thieves, will fit you like a glove and deliver a plush ride over the winter roads. Properly painted, rust won't be an issue.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I'd be sorely tempted by a Fratello...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    .. something with discs and clearance for ice tyres.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears (but it's got to be fast and pretty light too) cos I'm wondering what to get next too.

My Felt F65X ticked those boxes... which is why I bought it. It has been described as the perfect winter commuter
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • the ever popular boardman cx team ticks the boxes for me. However for full winter duties I'd have considered an alfine 11 equipped cross bike or a rohlhoff.
  • jonny_trousers
    I'd be sorely tempted by a Fratello...

Yeah, me too. I had one a while ago that was way too big for me, but even then the ride quality was sublime.

Custom steel is definitely on my want list for the future, but it aint gonna happen this year due to the CR1 spend.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Kinesis TK3 the geo I like and room for guards and decent size rubber
  • jonny_trousers
    A Tifosi Corsa might be cool, but maybe a touch pricey.
  • If I were you, I think I'd probably just stop pretending that I wasn't a short-arse and buy a bike that fits this time ;)
  • jonny_trousers
    If I were you, I think I'd probably just stop pretending that I wasn't a short-arse and buy a bike that fits this time ;)

:lol: It's more that I have a hideously inflexible upper body, I think. That and I like finding excuses to buy new kit.