Card (birthday, greetings, mothers day etc) shopping

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
Why are they all so sh*te. fine if you buying a card for a kid, or for the kid to give, but adult to adult they are just terrible. you go into clintons, or wherever and people are doing the exact same thing, desperatley trying to find a non crap card amongst the see of cringeworthy, flowery, unfunny bollox.

admittedly i usually shift the responisibilty of buying one, but when i cant and have to bite the bullet and go myself. i hate it.

Comments

• The greeting card industry knows full well that tradition dictates we give the flippin' things, so the actual quality of the product is irrelevant. No matter how bad they are, you're going to end up buying one. It's a bit like road tax - you buy it because to not do so would end in a kick in the goolies, not because you think it's any good.
    Mangeur
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,142
    Some of the online card shops (Moonpig etc.) have some good and original cards.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just snap them up whenever you see a good one and save them for when you need them. Generally, every now and then you'll see one which tickles you.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    A place called Scribble (or Scribbler?) does some very funny cards and wrapping paper.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Tesco do 10 happy birthday cards for £1. They are obviously cr4p but at least you haven't spent £3.75 on a cr4p card.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    coriordan wrote:
    Just snap them up whenever you see a good one and save them for when you need them. Generally, every now and then you'll see one which tickles you.

This^ is good advice, to which I'll add, only ever get blank ones (the verses in the non-blank ones are beyond awful) and get them from places like National Trust shops where you're supporting something worthwhile at the same time
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Don't bother my @rse. Job for the missus.
    Missus reckons I'm a miserable tw@t.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I do like a classic motorsport birthday card for its shear shitness

vintage_motorcycle_birthday_card-rdb80d8d199544eaebb5f9781b40b2115_xvuak_8byvr_152.jpg