Avoiding sun burn on your head

ridgeway_swiss
ridgeway_swiss Posts: 146
edited July 2013 in Road general
Just came to my mind that my well vented skid lid will help my noggin keep cool but will also allow plenty of sunlight in. What's a good way to avoid sun burn on top when your body has adapted so well to cycling that you have no turf up top ?

OK I'm bald, I admit it.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Bandana or cycling cap under the helmet, whichever you like best
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Errr, suntan lotion! The top of your head is skin like any other bit of exposed limb or neck etc that you have so just protect it in the same way! Rieman P20 is good for this as it doesn't run into your eyes when you sweat a lot.

Or let it burn into weird stripes and pretend to everyone that you have had a new Maori style tattoo done on your noggin!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Think it will need to be a physical solution as I hate suncream although it may be the best solution as it will still allow natural cooling, suspect I'll try a bandana first but may overheat and resort to some factor 5000 on me bonse
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Knotted hanky, alternatively wear a crash turban.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I wear a Buff thingy all year round.

It helps me keep a bit warmer in winter.

It helps keep the sun off in summer. Probably soaks up some sweat as well but it would probably evaporate off pretty quick as well. Plus it keeps the back of my neck covered up.

I think it said it was UV protective, I'm not sure they all are
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Sun cream, avoid skin cancer first, worry about sweating 2nd. Piz Buin 1 day long works great, like any cream it just needs time to soak in properly.
  • What's a Buff thingy ?

My first dog was called buff but she wouldn't have been very useful for this task.

Wait, is it this ?

http://www.buffwear.com/new-ss13-headwe ... r-pro-buff

So a nicely printed UV hanky kinda solution, sounds cool
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I've tried various sun creams including those mentioned and still get it running into the eyes. The only thing that has guaranteed me not getting a burnt bonce and sweat or cream running in the eyes is a bandana worn under the helmet.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • pipipi
    I think this is the one I got.

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/buff-headwear ... t_id=18950

I'm not sure i believe everything about wicking though. I'm sure a normal piece of material would do a very similar job, but the Buff doesn't have any seams so its really comfortable.

I put my sunglasses on. Put the Buff tube laying flat on the top of my head. At the front, hold the lower half of the tube onto your forehead and stretch the top half to the back of your head. That gives me a one layer stretch over the top of my head, a bit of bunching around the back of my head and then the last part of the tube hanging down over the back of my neck. Bike helmet goes over the top.

It comes with picture instructions in case my explanation doesn't make sense. And my winter fold is the same but I make sure it goes over my ears.
  • mwalters
    mwalters Posts: 21
    Assos RoboFoil cap - http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... 1393&c=215

SPF 50, works for me.

Mark
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    Grow some hair
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    wiggo?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Reasons why sun cream will run into your eyes when you sweat:
    You have no eyebrows
    You’re using the wrong sun cream and incorrectly – use a thick SPF30/50 like Piz Bun and apply it at least an hour before you go out so it’s absorbed
    You have no eyebrows

Went bald at 16 and sweat out the top of my head at just the whiff of a curry – never needed a bandana or cap when riding in hot temps, just good quality sun cream. Invest well and reap the rewards of your aero bonce ;-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Buy one of those covered aero helmets - no holes on top for the sun AND you'll go faster. Sorted.
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    Helmets are no protection against hailstones either.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • pashda
    pashda Posts: 99
    another vote for a Buff. after reading this I have been trying one. Rode 89 mile sportive in very hot weather and it wicked all the sweat away and I didnt feel any hotter than without it. It was dripping wet at the end but no sweat ran into my eyes or onto my shades. Cheers pipipi for the suggestion and the best way to wear it. the kids werent happy though they have them knotted as a pirate bandana.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    An A4 envelope does it for me.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • mbthegreat wrote:
    Grow some hair

I'll try but it make take a while, I'll ask Wayne Rooney for some tips :lol:
  • pipipi wrote:
    I think this is the one I got.

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/buff-headwear ... t_id=18950

I'm not sure i believe everything about wicking though. I'm sure a normal piece of material would do a very similar job, but the Buff doesn't have any seams so its really comfortable.

I put my sunglasses on. Put the Buff tube laying flat on the top of my head. At the front, hold the lower half of the tube onto your forehead and stretch the top half to the back of your head. That gives me a one layer stretch over the top of my head, a bit of bunching around the back of my head and then the last part of the tube hanging down over the back of my neck. Bike helmet goes over the top.

It comes with picture instructions in case my explanation doesn't make sense. And my winter fold is the same but I make sure it goes over my ears.

Nice description and appreciated :wink:
  • pipipi
    Well if it helped Pashda then it was worth explaining!

I am not for one moment saying that it is a fashionable thing to do, I'm sure the velominati would be :evil: that it isn't a peaked cap, and I'll be honest to say I've never tried a peaked cap thing. But I haven't needed to because the Buff has worked so well! :D

My daughter thinks that it looks silly when I put it on, but once my helmet is on you can't really tell what I'm wearing. And I'm wearing lycra and a cycle helmet so I imagine there are plenty of other fashion disaster areas! :lol: