Commuting bikes

simonhead
simonhead Posts: 1,399
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Sorry if ive posted this in the wrong section, i dont get hybrids, arent they just mountain bikes without bobbly tyres? I have been looking at getting something for my run into work rather than use my proper bike, popped in to Evans and the guy says to me, if you are only doing 7 or 8 miles each way you may as well get a mountain bike and just put road tyres on to it, save yourself a bit of cash as hybrids are generally over priced.

Any thoughts
Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Have you thought where your panniers are to go? I believe you can get some sort of basket that goes on the handlebars if you prefer....

1wq9.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Oh, look, another road forumite joining is. Obvious troll is....
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • arran77
    davis wrote:

What :?

That's genuinely my commuting bike, I don't like to use my proper bike for commuting, I suppose you'll mock me for this too...

iw2b.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • simonhead
    davis wrote:

Sorry i dont get your point.
  • simonhead
    simonhead wrote:
    davis wrote:

Actually yes I do, a wicker basket, thats rediculous, I should just attach a briefcase to the rack on the back.
  • arran77
    simonhead wrote:
    simonhead wrote:
    davis wrote:

Actually yes I do, a wicker basket, thats rediculous, I should just attach a briefcase to the rack on the back.

Sorry, you're right, this is clearly the way forward..

2i1c.jpg

seanoconn
  • simonhead
    62809BlueBike_523Web.jpg

Do you think i could put a rack on the back of this?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Posted repeatedly on your own Troll thread, just to try to get it going, is a fairly big fail.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • arran77
    Posted repeatedly on your own Troll thread, just to try to get it going, is a fairly big fail.

You just got it going again though?

:?

seanoconn
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    arran77 wrote:

You just got it going again though?

:?

What?

How?

Oh!!!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ok, back on topic.

Hybrids vary a lot, is a name that encompasses a lot of styles from basically flat bar road bikes to MTBs with slicker tyres. And a lot in between.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    On a serious note, I used to have a C90 scooter with a basket on the front when I worked in Vietnam- after the initial mocking people actually really that it was well cool for getting stuff home in without having to wear a haversack.

It was double cool because I worked in ordinance disposal so you could hoon around with bombs in the front and pull skids and people thought that they would blow up and throw themselves to the ground.

Although I don't have a C90 over here, what do experienced commuters recommend to carry things around in - I always find a rucksack too intrusive, so any suggestions welcome.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    simonhead wrote:
    Sorry if ive posted this in the wrong section, i dont get hybrids, arent they just mountain bikes without bobbly tyres? I have been looking at getting something for my run into work rather than use my proper bike, popped in to Evans and the guy says to me, if you are only doing 7 or 8 miles each way you may as well get a mountain bike and just put road tyres on to it, save yourself a bit of cash as hybrids are generally over priced.

Any thoughts
    looked in here for an idea what people use?
    viewtopic.php?f=40076&t=12536578
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • arran77
    Yossie wrote:
    On a serious note, I used to have a C90 scooter with a basket on the front when I worked in Vietnam- after the initial mocking people actually really that it was well cool for getting stuff home in without having to wear a haversack.

It was double cool because I worked in ordinance disposal so you could hoon around with bombs in the front and pull skids and people thought that they would blow up and throw themselves to the ground.

Although I don't have a C90 over here, what do experienced commuters recommend to carry things around in - I always find a rucksack too intrusive, so any suggestions welcome.

I can imagine you on one of these....

6fn8.jpg

Don't think it's what the OP is after though so probably better to take the advice of Mr Louse :wink:

seanoconn
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    simonhead wrote:
    62809BlueBike_523Web.jpg

Is that what a "metrosexual" is?
    It looks like a man dressed as a business woman to me, but then I don't work in the city :?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I thought it was a 'butch' women who believed in the natural look.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    This is my new getting-to-work contraption:

8769616027_c9d5d3a410.jpg
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    simonhead wrote:
    62809BlueBike_523Web.jpg

You probably could but it would likely come loose after you'd ridden him over a few bumps.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • wandsworth wrote:
    simonhead wrote:
    62809BlueBike_523Web.jpg

You probably could but it would likely come loose after you'd ridden him over a few bumps.

Someone needs to wax.............and have that stupid expression slapped off his chinless face. I hate suits.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Hmm - assuming the OP is still looking for a bike, get a "Dutch" bike for the commute. You don't need to wear lycra or special shoes, nor make your back all sweaty with a rucksack, nor get covered in crap when it rains.

Nice and sensible - mudguards, hub gears, rack for your bag, etc.

I like arran77's. I keep meaning to get one like it.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.