New to road cycling - lots of questions!

JayKingFunk
JayKingFunk Posts: 411
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Evening all,

Just got in from another ride on my new road bike.

Whilst I was out I got thinking...

1: I've been a mountain biker for years and recently got a road bike, my lower back aches more from a 45min ride on the road bike than it does from and hour and a half on a mountain bike. I'm guessing this is due to the position? Obviously my seat is higher for optimum leg power, causing my backside to be further away from the ground. Is it just a case of getting used to it? I do feel a bit 'stretched out'. Wondering if I need a shorter stem?

2: Can anyone recommend a comfortable saddle that doesn't cost the earth?! Around £50ish

3: What tyres do people recommend? The tyres on mine are just the standard: Vittoria Zaffiro 700x25c

4: Any tips for cornering in the wet? I'm applying all the same techniques I would normally use when mountain biking, well more or less the same but it feels a bit scary going round bends at over 25mph on a wet road!

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks in advance, J. :D
I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    1 & 2 get a bike fit

3. As a beginner the tyres you have are fine. Vittoria are good tyres.

4. Keep the bike upright. Don't lean over.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    ^^ this.

1. Position isn't right. You might need a shorter stem, or saddle may be too high... or both. Do some research on bike fit, plenty of videos available to show you how to at least get a good starting point.

2. Charge Spoon is worth a try at £25. It's working for me :)

3. Those are fine, wear them out before worrying about replacement. I'm impressed with the GP4000S I've got now, or consider the Vittoria Rubino Pro, Michelin, Schwalbe, all good brands.

4. Don't lean over as much. Slow down more than you would in the dry.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    4. Brake BEFORE you enter the bend and not during
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    1: I've been a mountain biker for years and recently got a road bike, my lower back aches more from a 45min ride on the road bike than it does from and hour and a half on a mountain bike. I'm guessing this is due to the position? Obviously my seat is higher for optimum leg power, causing my backside to be further away from the ground. Is it just a case of getting used to it? I do feel a bit 'stretched out'. Wondering if I need a shorter stem?

Your position will be different, and it will take getting used to. However your saddle should be at a height where you knee is slightly bent on the downstroke. If it's locking out your saddle is too high.

You will feel a little stretched out, are you having trouble reaching the brakes etc, or does it feel like quite a stretch to reach the brakes? If yes then a shorter stem might be in order, or a stem with a steeper rise.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Get some Continental GP4000S and then you can tick tyres off your list...