Wattbike 3min test.

cal_stewart
cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
My work gym had a Wattbike delivered a few months ago. So instead of riding around aimlessly for yet another year I thought I will use the Wattbike as a testing platform and to maybe do some training when its wet (yes I shouldn't be so weak).

Anyway looked on Wattbikes website and I conducted the 3 min test as follows.

1. Setup HRM
2. Selected 3 min test.
3. Set Air Resistance to 4
4. Killed myself for 3 mins

As I had no knowledge of my power output I chose level 4 to give me a good power spread between 90-110rpm.

My Results

0-1min AvPower 448w AvCad 115rpm AvHR 155Bpm
1-2min AvPower 391w AvCad 111rpm AvHR 179Bpm
2-3min AvPower 344w AvCad 106rpm AvHR 183Bpm

1Min AvPower 395w Power/Weight 4.34W/Kg

My question is, is my Cadence spread to big for the test to be accurate?

If this test is OK would a Ramp test be useful to back the results up?

Thank you

Cal
eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
Cervelo P5 EPS
www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but what exactly is the relevance of this test other than to see how hard you can ride for 3 minutes? What are you trying to achieve?

Why would the variation in cadence affect the accuracy? :?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • cal_stewart
    You use the 1min AvPower results in the as the base for other tests and your training zones. I've never used power before.

Goals are just to get my Power/Weight higher
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • ric/rstsport
    ric/rstsport Posts: 681
    it might, be better to ask this question: why are you trying to get your power to mass ratio higher? Presumably you are not just trying to get your p/m ratio higher, but you are attempting to do something else (TTfaster, win a road race, cycle faster in a sportive, lose weight, etc, etc). Once you establish this then you can start to work out how and why to increase your power to mass.

For e.g., at RST Sport we use a different test (a maximal ramp test to exhaustion), we're not just focussed on making this number (the MAP) larger. You may need to work more on submaximal power, or possibly more on the maximal power. it'll depend what your goals are.
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • cal_stewart
    Just want to improve in general no goals this year. Not to fussed about weight loss as I'm around 12-13% bodyfat and will be moving down slowly to around 10% and don't want to down much lower.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • ric/rstsport
    ric/rstsport Posts: 681
    Just want to improve in general no goals this year. Not to fussed about weight loss as I'm around 12-13% bodyfat and will be moving down slowly to around 10% and don't want to down much lower.

not having any goals makes it somewhat hard to provide a suggestion. just ride the bike and see whether you get better or not then? or formulate a goal....
    Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
    Coach to James Hayden - Transcontinental Race winner 2017, and 2018
    Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
    Check out our new website https://www.cyclecoach.com
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Like Herbsman, I'm not sure what this test is designed to do, apart from measure your 3 min power. It won't be a realistic measure of your 1 or 2 minute power as you'll be holding something back for minute 3, and its probably not a real measure of your 3 minute power as you can see that your power was tailing off through the test. Was there something which told you to do a 3 minute test?

To answer your question, power is power, its not affected by cadence although plotting power vs. cadence can indicate if you lack muscular power.

The question to you though is "what do you want to achieve"? My biggest epiphany with power training was understanding the type of riding I wanted to do, crit racing and TT's in my case, then conducting relevant power tests to identify my strengths and weaknesses (based on the Hunter-Allan book) and then building a training plan around that to work on my strengths and target my weaknesses. Of course, you can do this with HR training too but the benefits of using power for training is to more specifically measure yourself, create accurate training zones and then squeeze every once of time on the bike to get the most out of your training.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • ncr
    ncr Posts: 98
    it might, be better to ask this question: why are you trying to get your power to mass ratio higher? Presumably you are not just trying to get your p/m ratio higher, but you are attempting to do something else (TTfaster, win a road race, cycle faster in a sportive, lose weight, etc, etc). Once you establish this then you can start to work out how and why to increase your power to mass.

For e.g., at RST Sport we use a different test (a maximal ramp test to exhaustion), we're not just focussed on making this number (the MAP) larger. You may need to work more on submaximal power, or possibly more on the maximal power. it'll depend what your goals are.

In that test above can you explain how in the third minute when his power output and cadence were both lower his AvHR was higher.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ncr wrote:
    In that test above can you explain how in the third minute when his power output and cadence were both lower his AvHR was higher.

Probably a combination of increased oxygen demand and fatigue/lactate brought about by the effort...
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    I don't have a Wattbike but did read the training guide for it out of interest. The guide offers two main tests to determine your power levels and training zones for further training.

The ramp test is used to determine your "maximum minute power" (MMP), with power levels and training zones based as % of MMP. It's the same principal as determining your FTP or VO2max and setting training levels from those. For the ramp test you start at a lower power and increase it by 20W each minute and keep going until you blow. Your power in the last full minute before you blow is your MMP.

Your average power in the 3 minute test is intended to approximate your (MMP). No idea how close it would be, but it makes some kind of sense, as during the ramp test you are working at increasingly higher power levels and accumulating fatigue for about 10 minutes up to the last minute, while for the 3 minute test you are hitting it fresh.
    ncr wrote:

Heart rate responds relatively slowly to such short hard efforts. For a three minute test, your heart rate will most likely keep climbing even though your power may be dropping off. If you kept putting out a "maximum" effort, your power would drop off so much that HR would also decline, but that would take longer (not sure how long).
  • cal_stewart
    Been looking at the BC ramp test, you use the av power figure and work back ten 20w steps back and as dgstewart says work up in 1min 20w steps. Going to try this next.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS