Acronyms

ballysmate
ballysmate Posts: 15,921
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
I have just read the thread 'Moving House SNAFU'. I fully understand the acronym as I am sure as does everyone else. I am not offended and neither seems is anyone else.
If the phrase had been posted in full, there would be people up in arms, racing each other to complain. Why is that?
As people read an acronym such as that they realise what is being said, but their morals are not compromised because they haven't seen the written word.
Likewise expletives with letters asterisked out. You can clearly identify the word, but it is ok because you can't see it?
It is not just here that this seemingly double standard appears to exist. National newspapers do the same, the word is clearly identifiable but not printed in full. The exception, if I recall, is The Times (and perhaps The Telegraph?). I seem to recall The Times printing quotes in full. Yes, the most conservative (small c) of newspapers treating their readers like mature people.
I don't understand the double standards at play.
WTF?

Comments

• daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Heres an acronym, NSFW:
    http://www.kuntandthegang.co.uk/

Similarly this spelling of the naughty c word is OK to print. Indeed, Wayne (his real name), regularly gets reviews in the big papers.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I think most broadsheets will print a quote in full, but tabloids tend to asterisk things out. Which seems about right to me, as I tend to associate broadsheets with news (so why not report what was said) and tabloids with sniggering in the back at the naughty words.

Re: Snafu, it's almost become a word now as it so well describes what it's trying to describe
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ballysmate
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Heres an acronym, NSFW:
    http://www.kuntandthegang.co.uk/

Similarly this spelling of the naughty c word is OK to print. Indeed, Wayne (his real name), regularly gets reviews in the big papers.

Ah yes, the naughty C word? Everyone knows it, but why does it cause such offence. Mention it and people go into shock. Why? People who are offended obviously know the word and it is rattling around their brain somewhere. So why be offended by a word, especially only in print.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I think it is because of the obsession with protecting the young and innocent. You see my kids never ever hear any bad language at school. No, of course they don't. Nor do they learn that it may be inappropriate to use such language whilst out with their grandparents.
    So it's up to the great and the good (self appointed moral guardians) to protect the children from the big bad world out there. But showing extreme violence would seem to be ok.
    Or, that was all a load of bollox and it makes no sense to me either.
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    The Guardian also treats its readers as grown-ups, the asterisk business used by The Sun etc is just w**ky.
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • ballysmate
    Another word that it seems to be forbidden to print is what is known as the N word. Yes it may be offensive to people because of its racist connotations, but it is still a word. Everyone who reads 'The N word' knows exactly what is being referred to, but because they haven't seen the word written in full, their moral indignation is assuaged.
  • ballysmate
    wakou wrote:
    The Guardian also treats its readers as grown-ups, the asterisk business used by The Sun etc is just w**ky.

So it would seem that the broadsheet readers are more mature and able to be treated like adults whereas the tabloid readers need help with their moral compass.
    Or it could be that the tabloid readers are unable to fill in the missing letters and think * and ! are the 27th and 28th letters of the alphabet.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I was surprised to see the BBC News Web site using "fcuk" a couple of days ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23495785 No asterisks there.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • ballysmate
    Agent57 wrote:

Well if it's good enough for the BBC, surely it should be good enough for Bikeradar?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Well if it's good enough for the BBC, surely it should be good enough for Bikeradar?
    fuckin ay

(Hmm, didn't think that'd pass the filter)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    I blame the people growing up with Harry Potter "he who wont be named" ffs hes got a name its Voldemort.

Seriously, the reason the tabloids asterisk it out is to sensationlise it, that is all, by changing the word to make it less rude it actually makes it more rude as readers are more likely to notice it.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • ballysmate
    simonhead wrote:
    I blame the people growing up with Harry Potter "he who wont be named" ffs hes got a name its Voldemort.

Seriously, the reason the tabloids asterisk it out is to sensationlise it, that is all, by changing the word to make it less rude it actually makes it more rude as readers are more likely to notice it.

So in effect, the Mods would be doing us a service by removing any swearword filters. They would be making words less sensationalised and we could join the grown ups?
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Ballysmate wrote:
    simonhead wrote:

So in effect, the Mods would be doing us a service by removing any swearword filters. They would be making words less sensationalised and we could join the grown ups?
    Yup
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    simonhead wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    simonhead wrote:

Yup

Yup 2. Some are ridiculous. Whilst I can understand some getting offended by "F LI C K", how about sh1t? (I have to cheat this one because what the BR filter does to sh1t is so childish it just irritates me beyond logic!) - already pointed this out yesterday; if Geoffrey Chaucer was OK about the term in the Canterbury Tales as written in the 14th Century maybe by now it has lost its edge enough for us to be able to use it on here.

PS - S H 1 T, F LI C K, S H 1 T, F LI C K, S H 1 T, F LI C K....... Lucky we have censorship of mucky words or the kiddies would have been corrupted by this!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    my eyes my eyes :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Another word that it seems to be forbidden to print is what is known as the N word. Yes it may be offensive to people because of its racist connotations, but it is still a word. Everyone who reads 'The N word' knows exactly what is being referred to, but because they haven't seen the word written in full, their moral indignation is assuaged.

A few years ago a local radio station received a complaint after it played Elvis Costellos 'Oliver's Army' - with the lyrics

"There was a checkpoint charlie
    He didn't crack a smile
    But it's no laughing party
    When you've been on the murder mile
    Only takes one itchy trigger
    One more widow, one less white nigger"

The BBC was asked why it was being racist - and, genuinely, the station manager came on air and said 'we played a song that contained a word that rhymed with digger that some people may have found offensive" You'd have thought in the 30 years that the song was released the white middle class would have got over the shock. :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.