Poser at the evening league ................

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
So, evening league 10m tt tonight. Join the queue to sign on. Blimey, that bloke's got a nice Cervelo S5. What a plonker he's bought into the whole deal, wearing full Garmin kit. Tall too, looks a bit like David Millar. Hang on a mo, it is David Millar!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, it's the man himself, Just rocked up and rode the evet, off number 40. Everyone up to number 30 was worried!. He then came back to the village hall for a cup of tea and a biscut. Top bloke.

PS my daughter far left. She was very excited. :D

1002456_10151570256162304_49422950_n.jpg

Comments

• lone wheeler
    lone wheeler Posts: 163
    Brilliant, i like him. What time did he do?
  • proto
    Not certain but a 21m18s I think. He was just crusing. He's ridden our events before, think he smased the course record last time with a 19m something or other,mind you it was on a full TT rig and he was proper trying.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    At a local tt up here someone well known turned up the other week - he didnt compete on the night, just rode the circuit - on a slight downhill I heard he touched 40mph :shock:

surprise guest
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Nice tale and that's actually a truly brilliant candid photo. Good stuff.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Who's the wierdo stroking him?
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    He's got Rule 80 completely sorted, hasn't he :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,398
    proto wrote:
    So, evening league 10m tt tonight. Join the queue to sign on. Blimey, that bloke's got a nice Cervelo S5. What a plonker he's bought into the whole deal, wearing full Garmin kit. Tall too, looks a bit like David Millar. Hang on a mo, it is David Millar!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, it's the man himself, Just rocked up and rode the evet, off number 40. Everyone up to number 30 was worried!. He then came back to the village hall for a cup of tea and a biscut. Top bloke.

PS my daughter far left. She was very excited. :D

1002456_10151570256162304_49422950_n.jpg
    That's brilliant :D Is Millar local? And why exactly were you pinching his shoulder? :lol:

Thame eh. Home of Bill Giles, weatherman. 8)
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Nice story.
    Notice that even in this summer, he is still wearing longs, or leg warmers. :?: :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • proto
    'Weirdo' is Dr Gordon Wright our club president and a well renowned coach (Nicole Cooke, Stuart Dangerfield).

Yes, DM lived locally when he was a teenager and is a member of HWCC. His wife was with him and I think her family are from Marlow direction. Very pleasant fellow, chilled and relaxed, very approachable, and happy to accommodate the endless photo requests.
  • jezzasnr
    jezzasnr Posts: 225
    Mr Alex Dowsett did much the same last week down here in North Devon. Went out for a few rides with the local tuesday night chain gang, plus a few rides out over the moors & the coast, then turned up at the club 10. I think he won it, on his standard training road bike / wheels.
    Strava has been pretty much smashed, both by him & those out with him trying to hang on to his wheel!
    ....like it's golden
  • Leg warmers, without arm warmers.....? :shock: :evil: :lol:
  • Guessing he hadn't had time to shave....
  • Results are here: http://www.highwycombecc.org/blog/eveni ... #more-4052

Twitter:
    David Millar ‏@millarmind 10h

Turned up unannounced to HWCC 10. There were at least five people who remembered me turning up (unannounced) 21yrs ago. I'm faster now.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Specialized helmet though! Sponsors won't be happy!
  • proto
    Even better, he rocked on Wednesday night as well and went out on our chain gang. Usual through and off stuff, and daughter said it was quite surreal to have David Millar ride past and tell her, ' last man', as she peels off and sits on his wheel through the chain. Thirty odd miles at 23.1mph average which included Aston Hill. Unsurprisingly too fast for me, I had to settle for the 'steady' group (ave 20mph) :(

548910_10201029836902608_899632561_n.jpg
  • proto
    Pretty decent bloke, it's got to be a pain getting photo requests, 'can you sign this please' etc, but very accommodating and kind. On the CG apparently he just rolled through like everyone else, although when it all went bang on Aston Hill he just sat in for most of it then just cruised off the front.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Great thread. I like the fella. At Barley nat champs 3 years back he pulled out and just went and sat right amongst the crowd.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I remember him as a 16 y/o turning up to a Maidenhead & Dist evening 10 on the Binfield sporting course, shortly after he'd arrived in the UK, I think. Can't remember his time, but I think he got the CR that night. Rode a few 3/J road races with him when he was in Ross Wheelers. That's going back a bit.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    proto wrote:
    Pretty decent bloke, it's got to be a pain getting photo requests, 'can you sign this please' etc, but very accommodating and kind. On the CG apparently he just rolled through like everyone else, although when it all went bang on Aston Hill he just sat in for most of it then just cruised off the front.

He's always struck me as a decent bloke so nice to have it confirmed! Must have been a great experience being in that CG with him - jealous! Aston Hill is my local climb so if I'd known I could have snuck along... :wink: