Road routes from Palmanova (Mallorca) please...

gonetothehills
gonetothehills Posts: 219
edited July 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi there. I'm quite familiar with the central and northern parts of the Tramuntana in Mallorca but we're staying in Palmanova in a few weeks time and I was wondering if anyone had any local knowledge please? I've got a road bike hired from Pro Cycle Hire, who are delivering and collecting it, so was looking for some 2 or 3 hour rides up into the hills or along the coast.

I've got Pro Cycle Hire's excellent map of the island that grades routes by traffic volume - and I know that all the routes will be well signposted, it's just that I was keen to get a bit of homework done before we head out - and it'll give me something more to look forward to! It's going to be tough leaving the rain behind, but well... :)

Thanks in advance.
|> Save money on purchases from CycleStore, Wiggle, Merlin, Evans, Chain Reaction, Halfords and more - click here (or PM me with questions)

Comments

• Thanks beinbhan - that's a really useful site. Much appreciated. <heads off to spend hours looking at routes...!>
    |> Save money on purchases from CycleStore, Wiggle, Merlin, Evans, Chain Reaction, Halfords and more - click here (or PM me with questions)
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    theres a really nice (steep) climb up from Genova to Cami de La Creu leading to the monument then on to Esporles. Google Subida Coll de Sa Creu
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    im me and I'll map out tons of routes for you. Ive stayed by there for past four years. Heads up that the road on col la crue is not in great shape -- I had a serious accident on it last year. Admittedly that's the best way up to establiments (the link to almost all the climbing) but you can also take a different route up.

miss read that, no need to do that climb from palmanova; read it as palma. will email you some shorter routes.
  • NIIXSY
    NIIXSY Posts: 7
    Hi how did you get on cycling from palma nova etc. I'm going in September and looking into hiring road bike for 2 days
    Can you recommend hire place ? I've cycled Alpe d,huez so can cycle steep but also cycling with my sister who isn't as fit as Alpe duez gradient !
    How much are we looking at to hire etc.. Thanks
  • NIIXSY
    im me and I'll map out tons of routes for you. Ive stayed by there for past four years. Heads up that the road on col la crue is not in great shape -- I had a serious accident on it last year. Admittedly that's the best way up to establiments (the link to almost all the climbing) but you can also take a different route up.

miss read that, no need to do that climb from palmanova; read it as palma. will email you some shorter routes.
  • NIIXSY
    Hi bikergirl im going to palma nova in September and hiring road bikes can you give me routes with only road bikes would like some flat and mountain climb too, many thanks
  • Palmanova was a remarkably good base for road riding. The town itself has a great network of protected cycle lanes that run around the outside of it, so use these to get yourself out of the town. There are plenty of waymarked (using the wooden signs) routes headed towards Calvia and from there, you're in the foothills of the Tramuntana.

Establiments > Esporles > Banalbufar > Estellencs > Andratx is a good yomp, but I'd recommend the climb from Capdella to Galilea as good, satisfying fun. I also did a loop that came back through Puigpunyent from Esporles that was lovely - stunning scenery and long climbs, and came down the Galilea climb.

An alternative for an easier day out is to go along the coast on the cyclepaths - on one of the longer days I came back from Port d'Andratx on a mix of quiet roads and cyclepaths, via Pegeura and that was pleasant riding too.

It should be good fun. Mallorcan drivers, in the main, "get" cycling / cyclists, the roads are in decent nick and the scenery is superb. The people are great, the food's wonderful and the sun will probably out too. You'll struggle to not enjoy yourself! :)

For bike hire, get onto Pro Cycle Hire - Bruce and his team have the best reputation on the island for a good reason. They'll deliver a bike anywhere on the island for a small amount and the kit they have is excellent.
  • NIIXSY
    Thanks gonetothehills your post has been really helpful !