What is it with people and saddles?

YIMan
YIMan Posts: 576
edited July 2013 in Road general
Ok, so last month I sold a saddle of my new CR1 bike on Ebay. The listing has a photo of the top of the saddle and a note that the rails have the usual fitting marks from being fitted to a bike. One day after delivery the buyer requests a refund, saying the saddle is a different colour than in the photo and the rails are not "lightly marked" (which they were never described as in the listing). I've subsequently refunded the original buyer and resold via exactly the same listing with no issues.

This week I sold a different saddle - brand new, unmarked. Buyer contacts me to say "the saddle is not as described, it weighs 280g not 200g". I point out that the listing doesn't mention the weight and the Selle SanMarco site specifies this exact saddle as weighing 235g. I weighed the saddle myself before listing at 240g admittedly on a pair of non-digital kitchen scales.

So, what is it with people and saddles? Do they get them and sit on them, decide they're not for them and invent reasons why they want a refund? Who buys a saddle and the first thing they do on delivery is put it on a pair of scales!?

I've sold tens if not a hundred bike bits on EBay over the years but the issues on saddles seem to be disproportionately high.....

Comments

• lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    People buy saddles blind, Find it doesn't fit them or they find it uncomfortable so they pick up on the smallest things to try and get their cash back.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    They're just a pain in the butt!
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Wouldn't occur to try and get a refund in such circumstances. If it doesn't fit, or I didn't get on with it I'd just sell it on, hopefully for a similar price. Done this before and got more than I originally paid 8)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    You've got me worried now, I've just sold a saddle on eBay for Cancer Research UK, let's hope they don't ask for a refund. I had 2 questions during the auction asking the weight :roll:
  • YIMan
    Haha I've just posted another one too.....just waiting for the inevitable email......

Could it also be the case that manufacturer's stated weights are wrong? So a saddle stated as 235g could be 220g or 255g....or even 280g if your scales are out?

I should point out that we're talking about a £35 sale for the first one and £18 for the second...so it's not like people are paying top dollar and should expect perfection.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I don't get much luck with saddles, my current selle man is ok, but its not an order of magnitude more comfy than the stock oem one. Currently searching for something arm chair soft for the mrs' rockhopper who complains of a numb fanny after about 5 miles. Its my job to fix it if I want to get some any time soon.
  • YIMan
    Yeah same here which is why I've ended up buying and selling a few in the first place. I can honestly say though weighing them is not a thing that ever occurs to me when a new one is delivered, never mind it being the first thing to do on opening......
  • koreanbaz
    koreanbaz Posts: 43
    diy wrote:
    I don't get much luck with saddles, my current selle man is ok, but its not an order of magnitude more comfy than the stock oem one. Currently searching for something arm chair soft for the mrs' rockhopper who complains of a numb fanny after about 5 miles. Its my job to fix it if I want to get some any time soon.

maybe your wife needs a vibrating Ann Summers saddle then?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
  • Hi - Do you still have the saddle for sale?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Stuck up their own arse mate. Could be worse. Ive just bought a dura ace di2 brake lever and unit to replace mine that got scratched (bit anal) and have just realised its the new di2 mine is the generation one. Oops. Still paid him so when it arrives will put it back on ebay.

Some people are never happy no matter what. Hate ebay for selling.
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    In my experience, manufacturers claimed weights of saddles tends to be on the optimistic side. But we're only talking around 25g or so.