Slight change in cassette be ok?

Bwgan
Bwgan Posts: 389
edited July 2013 in Road buying advice
Currently running a 12-28 cassette on my bike. I am looking at getting a spare wheel for my turbo as changing the tyre is become a pain every time I go on.

I have seen a 11-28 cassette, would that go on with out any alterations to chain length etc??

Cheers

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You'll need to be more specific about your kit - particularly what chainrings you have and what make and model rear mech. You might need a longer cage rear mech.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    It'll go on no probs. I changed my 11- 28 by taking off the 11 and adding a 16, making it a 12-28 - absolutely no issues.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Bwgan wrote:
    Currently running a 12-28 cassette on my bike. I am looking at getting a spare wheel for my turbo as changing the tyre is become a pain every time I go on.

I have seen a 11-28 cassette, would that go on with out any alterations to chain length etc??

Cheers

1 tooth difference wont make any difference to chain length.

note tho if its for the turbo you dont really need a 28tooth...11-25 would give you a better spread of gears
  • Bwgan
    Cheers guys,

I want the cassettes to be the same so I can throw the bike on and have no issues.

Chain ring is a 105 double man size.
    F & R mechs are Ultegra 6700, the rear with a short cage.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    You can put any cassette with 28 teeth or less on without problems!

Afer all the bike/derailleur copes perfectly well whether you're in the 28, 24, 21, 19, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, or 11 cog at the moment.

Think about it!
  • rolf_f
    Depends doesn't it - if you potentially end up in small - small, then you could end up with the chain crossing itself under the mech. I daresay for one tooth though it would be unlucky for that to happen and it probably doesn't matter that much if it does. But if you increase the range, whether at the big end or the small end, the possibility that the cage can't handle it is just the same. Think about it!
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Long cage mechs are for when you need the extra chain capacity when running a triple where the granny chain ring is (normally) 30t (and the other two are 52/53t and 42t) or for large cassette sizes (30t+) There's not a short cage shimano mech that's been made in donkey's years that can't handle an 11 cog.
  • rolf_f
    schweiz wrote:
    Long cage mechs are for when you need the extra chain capacity when running a triple where the granny chain ring is (normally) 30t (and the other two are 52/53t and 42t) or for large cassette sizes (30t+) There's not a short cage shimano mech that's been made in donkey's years that can't handle an 11 cog.

We aren't talking about long cage mechs here; this is about medium cages. The mech doesn't really know how many teeth there are on the cassette - it only knows how far it can pivot. You just as much need more chain capacity if you go to smaller sprockets as if you go to larger sprockets. I know my Campag 10 speed can cope with 13-29 even though the tech docs say that it can't. I even just about managed 12-29 (same range as OPs suggestion) but 11-29 definitely won't work. There's no difference (that I can see) in going from, say, a 12-27 to a 12-29 as there is going from the same 12-27 to an 11-28.

Anyway, it sounds like the OP is fine in this case which is what matters!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Bwgan wrote:

Cheers

Yes
  • Bwgan
    Cheers guys, from the general consensus it should be fine