specialized purgotory

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
specialized purgotory tyres and after talking to local shop who swears by these tyres. Also reading reviews etc
They seem good.
The only problem will they fit my boardman team fs. Currently running a rubber queen up front and
Oem mountain king on back - which to be fair is shocking.

If the purgotorys are as big as the queens they won't fit in the rear chainstays at all.

If anyone has them could you measure them?

Thanks
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• jsync
    jsync Posts: 120
    what measurements do you want?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A 2.3" Purgatory is about the same as a 2.2" Rubber Queen. A few mates have Purgatory's and don't recommend them.
    Have you tried a Black Chilli compound Rubber Queen? Best tyre I have ever had and cheaper than the Purgatory.
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a ... dable.html
  • kirby700
    I've re-read the reviews and they state the sizes as slightly bigger than the rubber queens and are HUGE and they wont fit, thought about chilli versions mountain king but really fancy a change.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    According to the trail tyre test in this month's MBUK, a Purgatory 2.3 measures 55mm (carcass width, not tread block width), mounted on a Nukeproof Generator rim at 40psi. You might just squeeze one on the rear of a Team FS (my Bonti XR3 2.2s measure 53mm across the carcass, on the Team FS' Mavic XM319s at 30psi), but it would be tight, and leave bugger all mud clearance. According to some (heavier and more aggressive riders than me) the rear triangle is flexy too, and even the OE 2.2 Contis can supposedly rub on the inside of the chainstays with cornering flex.
  • kirby700
    I have found another option the specialized ground control. Another team fs owner on here rates them. So I'll give them a go.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Purgotry control is a great rear tyre, but i wouldnt have it up front, the Butcher control is awesome front tyre think minnion but way way better.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Another vote for the purg on the rear. I've tried a few different combo's on the enduro and keep going back to the clutch on the front and purgatory on the rear.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    kirby700 wrote:
    I have found another option the specialized ground control. Another team fs owner on here rates them. So I'll give them a go.

I use this tyre on the rear of my hardtail bike and would recommend it but in muddy weather, the tyre does clog up a bit but i guess you would be using a mud specific tyre anyway in those conditions.

The tyre is quite a soft compound if you get the s-works folding version.
  • Kowalski675
    kirby700 wrote:

The Ground Control came out well as a good fit-and-forget all rounder in WMB's recent trail tyre test.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Ive a ground control on the rear of mine no problems at all grips well. Seems to seep a bit when running tubeless though side walls always have spots on them. Thought it was just me going mad!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I used a purgatory for a while - didnt seem a big carcass at all and I liked it both front and rear.

Currently using ground controls front and rear on my hardtail and they seem very good, light and decent rolling.

Clutch for a front is a good shout but a bit fr/dh oriented for xc use imo.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Kowalski675
    I used a purgatory for a while - didnt seem a big carcass at all

There's very little clearance 'twixt tyre and chainstays (particularly the left) on the Team FS though. Not the cleverest bit of design ever.