PSA Garmin mount for short stems !

cnud
cnud Posts: 11
edited August 2013 in MTB general
So having lost one edge 200 via an o ring failure and departure on the current mounts, I have been using an old zip tie 301 mount and to be fair its ok but like the K edge out front mount that I also have, I don't like the position as I really would like it over the stem. If you have a long enough stem then the K Edge can be mounted upside down which will put it over the stem but not if your running a 50mm this is also the case for the new Sram MTB mounts.
So I contacted Martyn at http://www.racewaredirect.co.uk
and he provided me with exactly what I was after. A 3D printed stem cap Garmin mount. It's now been in use for about a fortnight and has survived a couple of tumbles (front wheel wash outs in the dust!)so it's fairly robust, weighs very little, mounts where I wanted it on a 50mm stem and so far hasn't fell off. So big up to Martyn who I have no association with by the way.
[img][/img]9283032613_9f49b6de24.jpg
image by Outlanderimaging, on Flickr

[img][/img]9285837872_3796bf443b.jpg
image by Outlanderimaging, on Flickr

Comments

• barikhan
    barikhan Posts: 22
    Much appreciated for you posting this, it is exactly what I am looking for as well.
  • cnud
    cnud Posts: 11
    Great stuff, it's a great bit of kit
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Or just mount it on the bars? lol
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    SRAM have released one too.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DanDax1990
    I had a big off on Friday, I reckon if I'd of had it mounted with one of those brackets it'd of been damaged.

Bars is best place to mount, Almost impossible to damage it that way.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Mine won't fit on the bars for love nor money. I've looped a couple of o-rings together and it sits over the bar clamp area now, safe as houses.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DanDax1990
    Fit's fine on my O/S bars, Which o-rings are you trying?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    +Potato. Fits fine for me to.
  • prawny
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    +Potato. Fits fine for me to.

My bars are wonky shaped and I've got my controls inboard a fair way because of my uber long brake levers. Also I've got an Egde 800 and it looks retarded on the bars and won't fit in the bends by the stem.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    My controls are quite far inboard too, so I can use single finger braking. Got tons of room.
  • prawny
    My controls are quite far inboard too, so I can use single finger braking. Got tons of room.

I dunno what's up with mine, it's an 800 I don't know if that makes much difference. It will only sit on the bend and it looks cack and it would take the brunt of any crash. I'm not sure why I even bother mounting it on my mtb, it'd be as much use in my bag the amount I look at it when I'm riding.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DanDax1990
    What about on the top tube near the head tube? Can't be damaged in a crash then.
  • prawny
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    What about on the top tube near the head tube? Can't be damaged in a crash then.

Big square tubing there, worth a try, but might be too close on the odd occasion I look at the clock to work out how mad the wife will be when I get home.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DanDax1990
    Sounds like everyone is anal when it comes to mounting their Garmins then. Too botherd about it not being symmetrical and so on lol.

Just mount it where it's less likely to be damaged. Tup tube or either side of the stem. Easy.
  • barikhan
    barikhan Posts: 22
    I had an off where I scrapped my handle bar.... right where I would have mounted my edge 800. Luckily for me it was the day before I got my edge 800.

For trail riding I have decided to wear my edge 800 on my pack. Can't afford to have its head smashed in anywhere on the bike.