Wax based chain lube

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
Anyone tried this?

http://www.in2dust.co.uk/

Apparently it's a great dry lube that won't gunk up your chain and only needs dry brushing to clean, no degreasing needed.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    The best dry lube is morgan blue, there's no need to use anything else
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Myself and 2 mates been riding through thick clay/muddy winters and more recent dry and dusty conditions using this Squirt lube. Must say, we all think it's high quality stuff. Trick is to ensure you apply it correctly ie.total clean, degrease, dry your chain before applying liberally, allow to dry (overnight ideally) then ride. Do it right and we've all found that the waxy coating sticks well to the drivetrain such that there is no need to degrease and relube for quite a few rides. Just spray with water to wash off the crud. Great stuff. Personally haven't found the morgan blue holds up well through the muddy winter.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    wanders off to place order....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I'm just about to finish my first bottle of Squirt. I use it on my road bike and find it to be pretty good on the whole. The drive train doesn't seem to stay quite as clean as I was expecting - I particularly notice that it appears to build up over time on the jockey wheels. However, I'm happy with the performance and I'm about to order another bottle: it seems to be a good compromise between lubricating and forming a grinding paste with the dust and dirt from the road. The only other lube that I would consider to be in the same league in that regard is Progold.

_
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm very happy with it too.

It's not quite as good as claimed, and the waxy stuff does accumulate in the crevices of the cassette and on the jockey wheels after a while. But it's not the sticky mess that other lubes leave behind (ahem).
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Phil Woods, because i'm worth it 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I tried quite a few dry lubes when I first got into cycling, all of which were fantastic when in the bottle. The chains always squeak a bit and you have to use a lot of the product, which typically isn't cheap. You are better off buying a slightly cheaper cassette and chain and accepting that they are going to wear out.

The problem with dry lubes is that the lubricant is basically solid, so once it wears off between moving parts, that shallots, whereas an oil based lubricant will continue to flow between parts. So, if you are the sort of person who cleans their chain with alarming frequency, a dry lube is fine. But then, if you are the sort of person who cleans their chain with alarming frequency, so is a wet lubriant.

Oh, and don't tell me I should apply to a clean chain, unless you believe that you can get one cleaner than 30 minutes in a warm hexane ultrasound bath.
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Oh, and don't tell me I should apply to a clean chain, unless you believe that you can get one cleaner than 30 minutes in a warm hexane ultrasound bath.

I had one of these baths at a spa centre once, met up with a lovely chain there who was also having the same treatment...very posh place it was