alternate cable routing

mp252
mp252 Posts: 16
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi!

I currently have a 9-speed bike but in the future would like to upgrade to a 10-speed slowly. And am going to buy some new shifters very soon. I have looked on Sheldon brown's website and it says I can use 10 speed shifters with a 9 speed cassette using alternate cable routing. My question is would I have to use a 10 speed front derailer? The levers I am planning to buy are; Shimano STI Levers 105 Black 5700/5703.

thanks

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    the front mech is not an issue re: 9/10 speed. i think cable pull will be the same.

however, the rear shifter will have one extra click, it may take some time to get indexing sorted .

i'd advise getting a 10 spd cassette at the same time as shifter, possibly a 10 spd rear mech as well if you need to. these are the least expensive parts.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • rhysrolfe
    rhysrolfe Posts: 8
    if you just buy the shifters and cassette then it should work as a 10 speed without any issues, i did the same to an old 7 speed bike with little trouble.
  • Htron
    Htron Posts: 47
    rhysrolfe wrote:
    if you just buy the shifters and cassette then it should work as a 10 speed without any issues, i did the same to an old 7 speed bike with little trouble.
    Except you need to use an 10 speed chain as it is narrower to match spacing of the cassette. Then the rear mech may not work well with the new narrow chain.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Simplest way of doing it is to get 10 speed shifters, chain and cassette.

The alternative of trying to use 10 speed shifters with a 9 speed chain / cassette will involve buying something like a Jtek Shiftmate, which would then be redundant when you upgrade the chain and cassette to 10 speed.