Winterised good bike vs dedicated winter bike

colm_gti
colm_gti Posts: 173
edited July 2013 in Road general
Having recently upgraded my first (and only) bike to a more expensive carbon race bike, I'm weighing up the merits of purchasing a cheap dedicated winter bike with mudguard eyelets or going down the route of winterising my good bike with the likes of some raceblades.

Was looking at a carrera TDF which is silly cheap in Halfords at the moment. Plan would be to buy that and fit a pair of DA7800 shifters I have in my spares box, along with a 10 speed chain so I can use my current training wheels with it. I also have a preferred saddle, and will be binning the cranks in favour of using my power meter cranks with it through the winter.

Arguments in favour of winterising the good bike would be that I remain comfortable on it.

Arguments in favour of getting a dedicated winter bike would be the lower maintenance costs, not putting wear on my good bike, and having my good bike feel extra special when I hop back onto it at the beginning of the racing season next year.

What are your opinions?

Comments

• pashda
    pashda Posts: 99
    get the winter bike. mudguards on your best bike will not protect everything from the grime on the roads and as you say it will feel special to get on the No. 1 in spring. I bought a 2nd hand cyclocross bike for winter. plus I can swap tyres and go for a cx race occasionally. The current deal on the tdf is pretty good
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Pashda wrote:
    get the winter bike. mudguards on your best bike will not protect everything from the grime on the roads and as you say it will feel special to get on the No. 1 in spring. I bought a 2nd hand cyclocross bike for winter. plus I can swap tyres and go for a cx race occasionally. The current deal on the tdf is pretty good

+1. I built up a Tifosi CK7 frame last autumn and its been a great bike, with permanent SKS Chromoplastic guards and 25mm tyres. Got seriously fed up with both Raceblades and Crudracers rubbing against the 23mm tyres on my first road bike (Boardman), hence the winter build. Now have a carbon bike for dry miles 8). Definitely the best of both worlds...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    That Carrera is a great price however a Dolan Preffsio with Apex and Guards supplied might have more suitable race geometry. You could also spec Wifli and use on some more hilly routes.

I have a dedicated winter bike that takes full guards, its for sure the way to go.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I assume that you don't have your first bike still, if you did that would maybe be a suitable wet weather bike as you could fit some Crudracers?

Like others have said even with mudguards you won't totally protect a bike from the grime that the wet / winter weather throw up so a bike for this weather is a good option if you can.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I went for the winter option after 2 years of riding the best bike through winter and cleaning it fastidiously. Best thing ever did....here's a post I placed in the 'show us your winter ride' thread;

Pilot Pete wrote:
    Right, put on a Brummie accent and read this line "This winter, I shall be mainly riding..."

350ug46.jpg

bdk6s.jpg

My new(ish) 'winter hack'. Very clean as I have just spent a day fabricating bits to get some guards mounted. Being disc brakes the rear had frame eyes which required bending of the stays to avoid interference, whereas the front had no eyes at all....just need to get a longer bolt for the lower disc mount to ensure enough threads are in contact within the forks and I'm all set.

Got some retro-reflective black tape on order which will be stuck down the rear of the seat stays to aid winter visibility, and another rear light will be added plus an emergency front. Also need to change the tyres to 28mm Four Seasons as the 32mm cross tyres are a bit hairy cornering on wet roads, even if the ride is sublime!

PP
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    i bought a winter blue 7005 audax Ribble which are super cheap and fitted permanent mudguards and its awesome in the wet. does exactly what it says on the tin..

makes you appreciate your sunday bike much more as well

drive a Ferrari every day it turns into a Fiesta
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My first bike had to be a year round bike so I went for a Kinesis Racelight Tk with SKS Chromoplastics, long drop brakes and 25mm Conti 4 Seasons. The mudguards would come off in the summer, should there be one. Last year they stayed on.
    6 years on I've just transferred most of the kit to one of the bargain CR1-SL frames from Westbrooks, and I'm kitting out the Tk with cheapish gear so I'll finally have a dedicated winter bike :D
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Started off with just the one bike - put Crud Roadracers on for winter commuting - changed my thoughts when the country roads I ride got very muddy and the cruds picked up too much crud .. so needed a bike that could take fixed guards with greater clearance.
    Enter the Tricross ... So I now have a road bike and a wet/do-it-all bike ...
  • andyoh
    andyoh Posts: 115
    If you have the funds available for another bike then get yourself a dedicated wintetr bike. It will be the best investment you make and come spring next year you'll enjoy riding your best bike throughout the dryer months.

I'm getting a new frame in September to have built up as my best/summer bike and I won't be riding it until next March as I have a winter bike with SKS guards on it to use in the wetter/colder months.