Grease on all my lovely clothing

charliew87
charliew87 Posts: 371
edited July 2013 in Road general
Don't know how I manage it, but this morning had a new jersey on for the first time. At some point between leaving home and taking it off at work, I appear to have rubbed my hands, which had not been near the chain, pedals or anything else overtly mucky, all over my new top.

Have similar issues with another white jersey and an orange one.

Is there a miracle product which gets these stains out in the wash? The normal 40c cycle with some arial tabs doesn't cut the mustard.
Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0

Comments

• SwainDogg
    SwainDogg Posts: 21
    If they hadn't been near anything dirty then why were they dirty? Why did you then rub them all over your top? I'm sure there are other threads linked to this problem with some solutions though.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    never hot wash, it's the best way to lock stains into lycra

use a solvent-based grease remover, petrol or white spirit can also do it, thereare other things that may work too, depends on the stain/fabric, you may find two or three solvent/wash cycles are needed
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • park%20citrus%20chainbrite.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its easy to have a bit of grease on the bar tape that transfers to mits, that transfers to jersey,

I suggest giving the tape a quick clean, failing that, get a new bike.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Alitogata
    Alitogata Posts: 148
    charliew87 wrote:
    Don't know how I manage it, but this morning had a new jersey on for the first time. At some point between leaving home and taking it off at work, I appear to have rubbed my hands, which had not been near the chain, pedals or anything else overtly mucky, all over my new top.

Have similar issues with another white jersey and an orange one.

Is there a miracle product which gets these stains out in the wash? The normal 40c cycle with some arial tabs doesn't cut the mustard.

I know something that cleans such kind of stains when you use it with common detergent in washing machine and really low temperatures. It is a very cheap all use degreaser with the name Swaz..It manage to clean even some tack clothes that I use to rub my painting brushes when I'm painting with oil colors and acrylics and took of stuck dried lube from bike parts and dried tomato sauce stains from a beige carpet.
    It is not expensive and does a really good work but I don't know if it is sold in UK.

http://www.commyl.gr/eshop/polukatharistika/65.html ( google translate the description here)

If they send it to England buy a bottle.. It cleans everything and I know that I sound like a stupid detergent advertisement :lol: but this stuff does good work.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I've used automotive waterless hand cleaner cream such as these. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1 The type without beads or pumice is easier to spread. Take some of the cream and rub it into the stains and let sit for few hours, then wash in cold water with a load of clothes. Repeat if the stain doesn't come out.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    get a new bike. And new clothes.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Cillit Bang?
  • adowling92
    adowling92 Posts: 225
    rubertoe wrote:
    Its easy to have a bit of grease on the bar tape that transfers to mits, that transfers to jersey,

I suggest giving the tape a quick clean, failing that, get a new bike.

New bike? bit extreme. Could just get new bar tape.
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy
  • GiantMike wrote:
    Cillit Bang?

This isn't the forum to discuss your sex life.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    park%20citrus%20chainbrite.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7

Hell yes!!! ;-) :lol:
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    The impotant thing on these occassions is not to rush and put the items in the washing machine. That is likely not to remove the stains but make them permanent.

Stand back, cry, think then act.

Stain Devils can be good but are probably no different from other cleaning products.