I fancy getting into cycling

Kuncan
Kuncan Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hi I'd love to get into road cycling but very confused as to what would be a good starting bike. I have been reading the forum and looking on ebay, but confused as to what size I would need.

I'm 6'4 and have a budget of 400 max on a bike.

What other essential items other than helmet are needed?

I was also wondering how easy maintenance is on bikes (not mechanically minded). How easy is it to replace a puncture at the side of the road?

Duncan

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Sizing varies between brands as they don't all measure from the same places, but at 6'4 you'd be looking at the larger sizes I would say.

As for the budget, the Carrera Virtuoso from Halfords is often under that price, or if you can add a little to it, a Triban 5 from Decathlon is also a good shout if you are buying new. Going second-hand, you should have a wide choice of fairly recent bikes.

Essentials: get a pair of padded shorts, couple of spare tubes and a patch kit, mini pump, tyre levers, saddlebag to carry them in and a small multitool. That will do, you can ride in T shirts on short rides to get started with.

Maintenance is quite straightforward, routine stuff like changing brake pads, cleaning and lubing chain and indexing gears isn't hard, there are plenty of videos on youtube that will show you exactly how things are done.

Puncture repair is easy, though I've only had to do it once (touches wood).
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    You are 193cm tall, then you need a big bike. The biggest size they do like XL/61cm.

You need a saddle bag with a multi tool, a pump, tube patches, tyre levers, for roadside repairs.
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    Above answers are good, but you will quickly want to buy other things, shorts, tops, shoes etc. Not essential, but you will want them!

If you are near a Decathlon then the Triban is the way to go, if not then a Carrera Road bike from Halfords are the only real options at that price. You could ask LBS if they have any trade-ins / know someone selling but you are tall so that will limit your choice.

Some on here will advise to go second hand but I would say if you have no maintenance experience buy new as you will not know what to look out for on 2nd hand.

Maintenance is easy but you can need some specific tools which can quickly add up the cost - watch out at Aldi for their cycing tool set which would get you started.

There are some good maintenance courses out there and even some places which run tool clubs where you can go and use their workshops. e.g. see link below for one in midlands:

http://www.birminghambikefoundry.org/training.html

Good luck - and happy cycling.
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    I would echo the comments above.

With regards to punctures - make sure you have at least 1 go of changing both the front and back innter tubes in the house so you know what to do should the worst happen while out on a ride and you know how to use the tyre levers. It may seem simple, but it took me a while to work out the 'trick' to getting the back wheel off.

I find the easiest thing to do is completely take out the quick release skewer, stand behind the bike and push the derailier forward to give you some space to drop the wheel down. Also I find it makes it easier if you put the chain on the largest chainring/smallest cog before you start.

Apologies if I am jumping the gun here but it may help you in the future!
  • Kuncan wrote:
    Hi I'd love to get into road cycling but very confused as to what would be a good starting bike. I have been reading the forum and looking on ebay, but confused as to what size I would need.

I was also wondering how easy maintenance is on bikes (not mechanically minded). How easy is it to replace a puncture at the side of the road?

Duncan

Just play with yr helmet a bit more often eh Dunc - only one that sees through yr troll

LOL
  • Kuncan
    Kuncan Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the replies especially the one about playing with my helmet.

Unfortunately I live too far from a decathlon store. I have now increased my budget to 600 for a bike hoping that will increase my options. The 2 local bike shops here only stock giant and trek bikes. Are their entry level bikes decent? They have sold out of all 2013 bikesclose to my budget so couldnt see them.

Or have you any further suggestions?
  • Kuncan wrote:

Duncan

First question is what sort of riding are you wanting to do? You're in the road section but do you want a road bike? £400 isn't a lot in road bike territory, but should get you an ok starter bike.
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    What about the Ribble 7005 Audax bike.

Not long ago you could get a Campag equipped version for under £700. I expect you could get a Sora or Tiagra specced one for close to your £600. It got an excellent review in Cycling Plus.

I ride one and it won't set the world alight but I'm struggling to justify spending a shed load more to replace it. I can't see that spending £1,500 or so on a new bike will make much difference to my riding which is for pleasure and fitness.

I upgraded the wheels, which has made a big difference to the way it feels, but the original Mavic ones were fine.
  • A Triban 3 from decathlon (red one if you can find one, certainly plenty in stock in Nottingham yesterday) will be a great starter bike and you'll have £101 left over.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Kuncan wrote:
    The 2 local bike shops here only stock giant and trek bikes. Are their entry level bikes decent? They have sold out of all 2013 bikesclose to my budget so couldnt see them.
    Yes, they are. For £600 you'd get a Giant Defy 3. It's end-of-season time and discounts are to be had if there is stock available in your size. Otherwise the Defy 4 is bang on £600, should get a discount off that too ;)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    At 400 quid you'd be far better getting a used bike from a well known brand. A lot of folk get something with good intentions then barely use it, lots of bargains to be had on ebay and gumtree - just keep your wits about you. If you see one you fancy post a link to the advert here. My nephew recently got a really nice Trek from a mate at work for 250 quid so ask around. My Cannondale cost me 400 but was 1200 new.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!