My Problem Stems from the Handlebars...

WarlKicken
WarlKicken Posts: 224
edited July 2013 in Road general
Oh! Fancying seeing you here....what a pleasant surprise.

My mofoin' build continues. I spent 3k on an Ultegra ROKH, it's the best bike I've ridden. Thus far I've had sublime advice on wheels, group sets and seats....now we're talking handlebars. I've a limit knowledge on bikes but I love things that look pretty and weigh little. I'm both of those things myself dontchya know ;)

I've upgraded my current groupset from standard to Di2 Ultegra, I'm now rolling on 50mm carbon Campagnolo Ultra Bullets, my bum is perched on a Fizik Arione CX and its looking dazzling. I've just ordered some rather snazzy looking Pinarello bar tape, black (unfortunately the ROKH came with white...yuck!) I noticed after purchasing a Pinarello UNO that the handlebars and stem and the same as the 'twice the price' ROKH. Needless to say I need something lovely and light to hold onto and a new decent stem

Suggestions? Are 'PRO' any good? Was watching an interview with Cav earlier in my boredom and he mentioned the name??

Comments

• sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    Pro are decent, as are 3T, easton and tonnes others. I recommend you do not go super light on bars as if you are remotely heavy or ride aggressively super light bars flex massively. Also, bars take the force of most impacts if you do happen to crash so carbon bars can be totaled after one crash.
    Find yourself a nice alloy bar with a shape you are comfortable with depending on your hand size.
    Also, as you are on BR, have a look through the reviews of bars and find the top rated ones within your price range.
  • WarlKicken
    sharky1029 wrote:
    Pro are decent, as are 3T, easton and tonnes others. I recommend you do not go super light on bars as if you are remotely heavy or ride aggressively super light bars flex massively. Also, bars take the force of most impacts if you do happen to crash so carbon bars can be totaled after one crash.
    Find yourself a nice alloy bar with a shape you are comfortable with depending on your hand size.
    Also, as you are on BR, have a look through the reviews of bars and find the top rated ones within your price range.

Firstly, I'll apologise for starting this thread in the completely wrong forum, should've been in 'Road Buying Advice'. Secondly, I've heard quite a bit about not going carbon on the handlebars, due to the exact reasons you've stated, appreciate that. My current set up (on both ruddy bikes!) is a Pinarello own make MOst brand, aluminium. I am quite light, weighing in at a massive 61.5kg. Read quite a bit about PRO purely after hearing the interview with Cav. Loving upgrading the bike at the minute, it's expensive though :-D
  • WarlKicken
    Wow, just seen Cav's edition PROstar! That's just swell looking and not expensive at all!!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Ritchey WCS if you want light, stiff, and reliable.

The Cav PRO stuff is ridiculously heavy.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-roa ... -handlebar
    I know the wheels they make are good, not tried the handlebars
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    FatTed wrote:
    http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-road-bike/carbon-road-bike-handlebar
    I know the wheels they make are good, not tried the handlebars

That's just the exact same Chinese stuff being sold from yet another website. Not exactly of a similiar quality to the rest of his build.