Winter/Hack bike

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Anyone got a winter ride or hack bike? What do you think regarding them? I keep toying with the idea of one. Sonething like an old Univega, MTrax or Marin like a Nail trail from 95 onwards sort of dates.

I do have my Norco Sight and it gets alot if use but like tonight, just want a bike that I can go out on and not having to spend ages detail cleaning. Thinking of a 1x8 set up for simplicity, or something along them lines.

What winter bikes/hack bike do you have? Any recommendations on what to look for between 100-200 on eBay etc!!

Have you got one then never used it? Should i just spend my cash on some new components for my current bike?

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    This is my 'work' bike. Although in the summer I tend to go on the roadie. I used to go around Llandegla/CyB on it before I got my full suss (it had nobbly tyres, gears and working suspension forks then).

bike_zpse8054db1.jpg

I keep the chain clean, and having it singlespeed make it easy to clean the sprockets. Hydraulic brakes are almost maintenance free. Yep that's a cable tie keeping the chain tension.
  • lbalony
    This is my 'work' bike. Although in the summer I tend to go on the roadie. I used to go around Llandegla/CyB on it before I got my full suss (it had nobbly tyres, gears and working suspension forks then).

bike_zpse8054db1.jpg

I keep the chain clean, and having it singlespeed make it easy to clean the sprockets. Hydraulic brakes are almost maintenance free. Yep that's a cable tie keeping the chain tension.

I like it.

I try & get out 3 times a week and would like something like this for the 2 during the week rides.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    This is mine. Not so much a 'hack' bike as it is a HT alternative to my Full Suss. I use it occasionally for riding to work but its very fast and agile on the trails too. Much lighter than my Spesh and it's nice to have the option between the two.

It runs a 1x9 setup with an SS chain device, 2.1 Speed King tyres, 80mm RS Recon Fork, and deore/SLX drivetrain.

IMG_1268_zps6556114e.jpg
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    I have an old rockhopper (no photo to hand I'm afraid) last of the steel frames they made from 1998.
    Got the frame for free and built fully rigid with old shimano XT and bits I had taken off my modern bikes. Light, effective, cheap as chips. Cost around £130 all in I would guess.
  • Got an old Felt Q720. Was 'decent' when first purchased, but time hasn't been kind.
    It now has a 1x9 drivetrain (from a 3x9), but everything else is pretty much the same.
    Only issue is that I can no longer replace 'like-for-like' as the costs are prohibitive.
    The forks have seized up, so they offer about 30mm of travel and don't lock anymore, but it's not worth getting them fixed or replacing them.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Are you thinking of having it for road rides or for MTB as well? For road riding a proper road bike is so much better even a cheap one.

For a leaving at the shops hack, the cheapest thing that looks like you took it out of the skip is best (Obviously has to be mechanically sound though)

If its for off road riding I would personally use the decent bike and just make sure its maintained. No point in having a decent bike and riding around on some old thing for half the year (In my opinion)
  • lbalony
    No its just for winter and having the choice. Especially when going local on bridal paths.

I am still looking at M-trax's, old marins etc that i can stick a chain device on to make 1x8 or 1x9...

Any advice on what old but good bike to look for as I am not finding many M-Trax's or Univega Alpina's (I always wanted these as a child, had an Alpina 501 I bought 2nd hand but got nicked).
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got a Saracen Dirtrax I've been keeping for the winter. Used it a few times last year, but I went out on it this morning and hated it. I think full suss has made me soft, it needs new forks to be any use for anything other than pootling, nearly shook my teeth out round the chase.

I might sell it, but I've got no idea what it would be worth, it isn't the sexiest frame ever.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    A winter bike is different to a hack bike.

A hack bike is for riding to the pub and locking up places where you'd never dream of locking up your pride and joy

Winter bikes are for people with either:
    1) more money than sense
    2) no idea how to maintain their bike properly, as lets face it, british winter isn't much different to summer
    3) all of the above

And no, I have neither.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    ilovedirt wrote:

A hack bike is for riding to the pub and locking up places where you'd never dream of locking up your pride and joy

1) more money than sense
    2) no idea how to maintain their bike properly, as lets face it, british winter isn't much different to summer
    3) all of the above

And no, I have neither.

This^^^
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    ilovedirt wrote:

1) more money than sense
    3) all of the above

And no, I have neither.

You forgot n+1, it's the best reason to have any other bike.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lbalony
    ilovedirt wrote:

1) more money than sense
    3) all of the above

And no, I have neither.

Ok i may have the terminolgy wrong.

I want it for my two local rides a week, something not worth much with zero'ish maintanence. My 2.5k bike can just do me the one outting a week to somewhere decent. I have a little loop going on local thats bridal patgs roads and single track. Something my Norco is overkill for. A nice little cheap hardtail would be perfect.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Many of the guys I ride with have decent HT or FS trail bikes and for our local rides have rigid (many SS) bikes to minimise maintenance costs/hassle.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lbalony
    The Rookie wrote:
    Many of the guys I ride with have decent HT or FS trail bikes and for our local rides have rigid (many SS) bikes to minimise maintenance costs/hassle.

Yeah my friend has a single speed and he loves it due to its simplicity and no worry attitude.